450SS AR/DOG MOD?

Started by LTM, February 28, 2014, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Cone and company,

You mentioned "springing" the dog in the 450SS, would you give details/pictures on this for the rest of us. If you know any other mods for the 450ss would you mention/link them as well?

Thanx,

Leo

Cone

Leo, Keta made some ratchets and dogs for some of the ss series reels. Unfortunately he never made any to fit the 450ss.  :( The smallest reel he made a ratchet and dogs for was the 650/6500ss. I can show you what I did to the 6500ss but the ratchets and dogs wouldn't fit the smaller reels. Lee could make them. He just needs the time and encouragement from people here.  ;)
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Leo, here are a couple of pics. My photo fu is week but maybe they will help. This is a 6500ss.

One pic is with the dogs engaged and the other is with them disengaged. The dogs are the same ones Lee made for the 7500 through 9500ss. You can see I had to bend the tail on the dog to make them work. He also gave me some that were rejects with the wrong angle on the tail. This may be a couple of them but I don't remember. You can't see the spring but I made some crude ones out of ss leader material.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

LTM

Cone,

You posted this thread to the post "Smaller Penn reels" in  this section:

On the reels like the one Sal posted pictures of, there is only a silent dog. The eccentric only keeps it from engaging. The silver pieces on each side of the dog grip the ratchet. When the ratchet turns backward the dog engages. Sometimes you can squeeze them together and they will work again. I changed the silent dogs out for sprung dogs. They are noisy but more reliable. I like the noise though.     Bob

I was asking about the bolded comment "I changed the silent dogs out for sprung dogs". I wanted to know how you did this to a 450ss?

Cone

Senior moment, Leo. I haven't done a 450ss but it would be just like changing out the silent dog on the 6500ss. You would have to make a spring for the dog. I had to tweak the spring I made. It was making the reel hard to turn. I had to go to lighter wire and adjust the way it was bent. It is very easy to reel now. I have put a spring on a silent dog before. I ripped off the ears   and made a spring to get the reel working until I could get a new dog. Sorry for the confusion.
Bob

Cone

Leo, I have my grandkids this weekend. I just took the rotor off my 5500ssg. It was handy and it is basically the same reel. It works the same anyway. Tomorrow I will see if I have any ss I can make a dog out of. If I can I will lay one out and make one by hand and put it in this reel. I don't want you to say it can't be done. Bob

Keta

How close is a 4300SS dog and ratchet to this reel?  I was given a box of "trash" reels the other day that contained 4 nice antique Pflueger level wind reels, 3 Mitchel 300's in good shape with spare spools, 1 Mitchel 3800 in good shape, a Penn 4300SS in very good shape and a never used Okuma spinner that had the handle nut gone.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Quote from: Keta on March 01, 2014, 04:45:12 AM
How close is a 4300SS dog and ratchet to this reel?   I was given a box of "trash" reels the other day that contained 4 nice antique Pflueger level wind reels, 3 Mitchel 300's in good shape with spare spools, 1 Mitchel 3800 in good shape, a Penn 4300SS in very good shape and a never used Okuma spinner that had the handle nut gone.
Lee,

Its my understanding that the parts from the xx00SS series interchange with the XX0SS series. Its also my understanding that the only difference in the 400 series of reels (ie 420,430,450) are the rotors and spools. If this info is correct they should be the same?? This is the perfect time to clear this up.

Leo

Cone

Leo, The only scrap stainless I could find was way too thick. So, I took out the dog and tore off the ears. I had to file it to clean up what wouldn't come off. I drilled a hole in the dog and installed it using a stock Penn dog spring from a 7500ss. Here are the pics.

It now clicks and still works. Now I need to find some stainless and make a new dog.
Bob

LTM

Thanx Bob, really appreciate your effort.

Keta

Quote from: LTM on March 01, 2014, 04:51:09 PM

Its my understanding that the parts from the xx00SS series interchange with the XX0SS series. Its also my understanding that the only difference in the 400 series of reels (ie 420,430,450) are the rotors and spools. If this info is correct they should be the same?? This is the perfect time to clear this up.

Leo

I took the 4300SS apart and it's nothing like the 750SS Sal gave me.

Mark Twain

Cone

Lee, I don't remember all the changes Penn made. I do know the 7500 - 9500ss reels use the same dogs. The ratchets are different on the 9500ss. The difference in the 7500 and 8500 is the rotors and spools.
   On the 420's, 430's and 450's I cant remember. I did look on MysticParts and check the 430ss and 450ss. If I remember correctly the part numbers for the dogs and ratchets are different. there is only a silent dog in the smaller reels. The ratchet also fits on the pinion and is not keyed to the rotor like the 7500ss and larger reels.
   Maybe Sal can tell you.    Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

LTM

Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2014, 02:44:53 AM
Quote from: LTM on March 01, 2014, 04:51:09 PM

Leo

I took the 4300SS apart and it's nothing like the 750SS Sal gave me.
Lee, what I was saying from the above is that parts from the 4500ss will work on the 450ss, etc and visa versa. My comment on the 400 series being the same minus spools/rotors is what I think I read somewhere

Leo

Keta

The AR dog is inside the body not under the spool shroud.

Mark Twain