PENN SS SERIES COMMON BREAK/FIX ISSUES AND MODS

Started by LTM, February 28, 2014, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

SS REEL MEN,

NOTE! THIS IS SPECIFIC TO THE xxxSS GENERATION REELS ONLY!!

What do you guys see as the common (aside from abuse) break/fix issues with the Spinfisher line of spinners? You can be specific to model (650,750,850) or by class/series (400ss class, 750/850 class).  Please be somewhat detailed in your comments for Im new to these reels and desire to totally understand them and their strengths and weaknesses. If you mention modifications that are posted on this forum, please provide a link or be specific enough so that a search will locate the topic. Also, if your aware of some slight difference between models please state. For instance the main difference between the 650ss and the 750ss is that the 750ss has double ar dogs and the 650ss doesnt. This may impact your decision on which model to buy, especially if your not aware of this point/difference. So, please dont assume (without being overboard about it). Parts interchangability between generations of reels is included in this subject/post as well.

Hopefully, this post will help all the NEW CONVERTS to this rugged well built reel. Thanks in advance to all the efforts from those who have introduced me to these reel from your posts and personal guidance in aquiring my first one as well.

Thanx,

Leo

MFB

Have a 7500SS (the red baron) & 8500ss both have bronze gears, drag upgrades they seem fairly bullet proof. Have fitted a bail arm & line roller upgrade (from MysticParts) to the 7500ss so I can use braid on it. Need to order one for my 8500 too.

Rgds

Mark  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Cone

I'm sure that I don't have as many as some people here. I don't know how many I have.  ???  I need to count them one day.  ;D  I have three 9500ss reels with brass gears, ss dogs and ratchets. I also have some 850ss and 8500ss reels. 750ss and 7500ss along with a couple of 6500ss reels. I also admit to having a 5500ssg. Sal, I know how you feel about these.
   IMO the biggest problem with the ss series reels is with the anti reverse. The reels have some back play in the handle unlike the newer reels with an ARB. The dogs are brass or bronze with a ratchet made of the same material. With hard use the dogs get worn or damaged. The silent dogs have "fingers" that grip the ratchet. They don't like grease. They are prone to corrosion and can stick.
    Most of my reels have been upgraded to ss sprung dogs and ratchets. They make noise. I don't mind but some like their reels silent. The noise from the dogs lets me know they are working. The dogs and ratchets are from Keta, AKA Lee. Most of the ss ratchets have more teeth than stock and have less handle back play. I now grease the ratchets and dogs but I have to agree that this makes them sand magnets. I don't have problems with sand but I'm careful not to lay my reels down at the beach.
    I think the upgrades from Keta have reduced the deficiencies in the anti reverse. I also believe them to be more reliable than a lot of the newer reels. Any reel new or old requires maintenance. JMO    Bob 
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

Quote from: MFB on February 28, 2014, 11:14:00 PM
Have a 7500SS (the red baron) & 8500ss both have bronze gears, drag upgrades they seem fairly bullet proof. Have fitted a bail arm & line roller upgrade (from MysticParts) to the 7500ss so I can use braid on it. Need to order one for my 8500 too.

Rgds

Mark  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mark, please explain why one needs to replace bail arm/line roller to use braid and part numbers for the upgrade.

MFB

The factory line roller is chrome plated brass & has a plastic bush. The Penn parts upgrade has a tungsten line roller which is more wear resistant (especially with braid) also the ball bearing reduces friction in the line roller which important if you are targeting Kingfish or GT's or anything that has a scorching run. I read somewhere about somebody losing a sailfish in Broome Australia because their line roller bush melted & seized the line roller. 

Rgds

Mark 
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

Mark, there is good and bad in everything. If you service your gear as you should, I believe you're better off with rollers. I don't know about the newer models, but my rollers are stainless steel on the SS and titanium on the greenies.
I only use mono on those and I'm not sure about braid, but  hearing from my friends, the problem with braid was with line lay on the spool. That could be fixed with spacers.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MFB

Hi Sal,

I fish braid on mine, I look at it this way "Good things are able to made great." I have done a similar upgrade to my Shimano 6500B, I fish mono on that, but there is always a possibility of a Kingfish grabbing my bait when I'm targeting snapper. I think the first & second generation SS reels were ahead of their time & are still good today. It's a shame Penn lost the plot for a while, but they appear to be back on track with the Penn Torque spinning reel.

Rgds

Mark   

Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

I forgot about "THE RED BARON" great reel. I hear you Mark, but I still like roller bushing there instead of a  bearing, don't take it the wrong way, this is just my opinion.
You've mentioned the torque, I've been waiting for that price to come down for a while now, but it's not happening ;D...good sign of a masterpiece.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BogueSounder

I really enjoy these reels. I typically use the smaller models (450ss to 650ss), but have a variety of sizes. To your question. I find that on several reels (different models) I have acquired, the crosswind block has needed replacement. Perhaps corrosion due to contact with the crosswind gear of different metal type. Regardless, that is a cheap part.

As mentioned above, the AR doesn't like grease amd will cause the dog to not engage... And even when it does there is play. I'm not sure that play costs me many fish, but it is there. Would love to play with one of those new fangled ratchets :) I fish braid and mono with no issues on maintained stock line roller. Have caught plenty of false albacore, snake king mackerel, and just overslot reds on both line types. Have a 4400 & 4300ss (graphite frames) that I throw to little fish with. All are well built.

Alto Mare

Yes, a ratchet with more teeth is sweet, I believe Lee made me an 18 toothed one a while back, but don't remember which one has it.
The SS is a though reel, I would recommend changing the drag knob with the newer model and use Loctite Blue 242 on dog screws and rotor nut. Some later 6500 & 7500 models come with aluminum gears, you might want to swap those with brass. Usually the 650 & 750 will already have the brass gears, but don't be surprised if someone has already changed them...been there ::).

Irish Jigger

I could never understand the difference between changing and swapping gears ;)

LTM

Quote from: MFB on March 01, 2014, 05:42:12 AM
The factory line roller is chrome plated brass & has a plastic bush. The Penn parts upgrade has a tungsten line roller which is more wear resistant (especially with braid) also the ball bearing reduces friction in the line roller which important if you are targeting Kingfish or GT's or anything that has a scorching run. I read somewhere about somebody losing a sailfish in Broome Australia because their line roller bush melted & seized the line roller. 

Rgds

Mark 
Thanx for that Mark. Would you give more info so one can find the exact parts your referring to, like what model reel at least? You also mentioned replacing the "bail arm", would you elobrate on that also?

Thanx,

Leo

surfcaster

Scotts still has these bail conversions for braid on their site under reel custom links.....
[][/img]

MFB

Those are the ones. They are available for 7500ss & 8500ss haven't looked at any other sizes though. 

Rgds

Mark
                                                   Isaac Walton

surfcaster

I saw a 550ss with a ball bearing line roller, That guy got it from a tica reel. It fit in the place of the penn bushing & roller
but, I don't know what model tica it came from. Been thinking  of ordering a penn torque line roller set up to see if it fits ss reels.