Penn Trim Ring Screws

Started by kbamhi, March 01, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbamhi

Someone had upgraded to an allen head, torx or similar. I have looked for the post but can't locate it. Do any of you know of a fastener with a bit fancier than the stock phillips head ?  OOOPS, I mean slotted head.

Thanks,  Keith

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

kbamhi

Yes, the allen heads. What thread pitch and length are they and where might a fellow find them ?

Thanks BM

BMITCH

The top pic is of a 114HLW with the penn full frame. The screws are a 10-32 thread and either 1/2" or 3/4" length. The frame needed to be tapped very CAREFULLY with a bottoming tap. The screw lengths were adjusted by grinding slowly.

Taps/screws are available through http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=qx6vr9. They have a lot of options.
Hope this helped.
Bob

kbamhi

Thanks a million Bob.  That's what I was looking for.

Keith

BMITCH

BTW Keith, I think black pearl is coming out with some Torx screws for the 5-40 size screws soon. These fit the 500's and 113 also the 112h. You might want to PM Alan C and see what he has cooking before you start drilling and tapping. Just a thought.
Bob

Tightlines667

My JVariance 113h side plates came with a complete set of SS alan head screws, nice touch.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

kbamhi

Okay Tightlines, now you are just showing off.  : )  I don't think the JVarience guy is still around, is he ?

Tightlines667

I had to work for these...had to have a friend get his uncle drunk to commandeer them for me...only $40 and they are still brand new...

lesson of the day...

patience and perseverance reap rewards.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

kbamhi

Quote from: BMITCH on March 02, 2014, 08:52:28 PM
BTW Keith, I think black pearl is coming out with some Torx screws for the 5-40 size screws soon. These fit the 500's and 113 also the 112h. You might want to PM Alan C and see what he has cooking before you start drilling and tapping. Just a thought.
Bob

I found a place online called Albany County Fasteners that sells stainless allen head cap screws in 5-40 but they are the full size head that would protrude a bit more.

kbamhi

Bob....I also notice on the 6/0 ? with the black Tiburon frame that the 4 screws under the handle appear to be countersunk allen heads.  Any idea what size they are on a 113H ?

BMITCH

Keith, I'll check those bridge screws for ya tomorrow when I'm in the shop.
Bob

BMITCH

Keith, I gave a look at my 113H and it appears to be a 6-32 Allen head screw I used for the bridge screws. That means that I tapped out the bridge from the original 5-40 thread size to the 6-32. If you need the 4 bridge screws we can do this two ways..... #1- you send me your bridge and I'll tap it for you and send you the four screws back with it ( the screws needed to be cut to length ) or...#2- I can send you the tap along with the screws already cut to length and you can tap it yourself. The screw heads also needed to be reduced in diameter so as they would fit down in the recessed holes of the side plate. I did this with a drill and grinder.either way just let me know which type head you want on those screws. I currently have Torx and Allen head in house.
Bob

Irish Jigger

I found a place online called Albany County Fasteners that sells stainless allen head cap screws in 5-40 but they are the full size head that would protrude a bit more.
[/quote]

I would prefer 18-8 rather than 304 screws particularly when they are securing trim rings.

BMITCH

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 03, 2014, 12:24:33 PM

I would prefer 18-8 rather than 304 screws particularly when they are securing trim rings.

[/quote]

X2  ;)