Touch up paint for Ambassadeurs???

Started by KYwoodsman, March 01, 2014, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYwoodsman

Has anyone ever tried to use a "touch up paint" to make boat rash on an black ambassadeur look better? I am doing some work on an older black 6000C for a guy and it has boat rash on the top of the reel. I have filled in the same areas on my personal black ambassadeurs with a sharpie marker and it looks great but rubs right off. Any ideas on a paint that would work to cover up some of the scratchs?

Ken_D

Hello. I have tried 2 coats of automotive "rattle can" paint, and baked it on, in my old 9.99 flea market toaster oven I normally use to quickly dry parts after washing, in fall and winter. Not overy hot... about 200-275 seemed to work. It's experimental...  I used the stuff from Canadian Tire a while back.  Your brand may shrink making an uneven finish. Or want a lower/higher temp.

KYwoodsman

Thanks for the info Ken. A lot of the colors it seems like you would have to do the whole side plate to get a uniform color but with the black I wonder if it would be possible to hit just the small spots that are missing paint. It really is amazing how well the sharpie marker covers the scratchs and matchs the factory color on the old 6000's. It looks 100 times better than it did but the ink wears off quickly with handling and as soon as any type of oil hits it, it's gone. I wonder if a different type of permanent marker would last any better.
I know it seems like a dumb idea to color a reel with a marker but it actually looks great and these reels are built to use. I am upping the gear ratio, installing a carbon fiber drag, and replacing the pawl with a ceramic one and was just hoping to make his reel look a little better than it did when I picked it up from him.

bluefish69

On my Newell Aluminum spools I use Black Nail Polish
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.