Particial Jigmaster success

Started by Tawakoni Terror, March 02, 2014, 11:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawakoni Terror

So I was at a flea market Saturday and saw this Penn 500 Jigmaster.  I remembered seeing a lot of discussion about them on the site.  Everything worked on it but as you can see there was much corrosion. I bought it anyway for $5.00. This is a first reel of this kind for me to try cleaning up.  Thanks for Alan's Jigmaster tutorial it was a snap.  Most of the exterior chrome has been eaten away. Needs re-chroming but not by me. When the reel is held level the spool spins great but tilt it to the right and it starts clacking and really slows down. If I tighten down on the spool drag things really slow up. Any ideas how to correct this. No parts left over..yea.
Here are the before and after pix.

alantani

a plastic spool is problematic at best.  an aluminum spool is best, but not really worth the expense. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

You did a good job cleaning that reel Tawakoni, check the drags and if you wanted to upgrade those go for it, but if you already have carbon fiber washers, just go fish. I'll bet it will do just fine as is.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Mono can break the plastic spool, fill it 1/2 way or more with Dacron or Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: alantani on March 03, 2014, 12:41:51 AM
a plastic spool is problematic at best.  an aluminum spool is best, but not really worth the expense. 

Are you telling me the spool is sloppy by its nature? I have never experienced anything like this in a reel before.

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: Keta on March 03, 2014, 02:59:59 AM
Mono can break the plastic spool, fill it 1/2 way or more with Dacron or Spectra.

Nice idea..thanks

Keta

Quote from: Tawakoni Terror on March 03, 2014, 04:25:43 AM
Are you telling me the spool is sloppy by its nature? I have never experienced anything like this in a reel before.

No, the material can't take the pressure from compressed mono and they tend to come apart.  The chromed brass ones warp too when mono is put on under heavy load.

I've dropped the "plastic" spools too and have had them crack.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: Keta on March 03, 2014, 04:28:21 AM
Quote from: Tawakoni Terror on March 03, 2014, 04:25:43 AM

No, the material can't take the pressure from compressed mono and they tend to come apart.  The chromed brass ones warp too when mono is put on under heavy load.

I've dropped the "plastic" spools too and have had them crack.

I bought it for the experience of fixing it.  The reel is actually too big for the lake fishing we do. A large cat is 50lbs and that's rare. Not going to but Halibut type pressure on it.  8)

Keta

Mark Twain

BMITCH

This is a nice job on a reel that for sure was heading to the trash bin. The hands-on experience you got by servicing this one will give you the confidence to tackle others that you can use in your type of fishing. They are all basically the same and the more mod's and service you do the more experience you'll gain. Next thing you know you'll be building 9/0's "just because". This is how the bug gets ya. Have fun and post pics. We love pics.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: BMITCH on March 03, 2014, 10:24:45 AM
This is a nice job on a reel that for sure was heading to the trash bin. The hands-on experience you got by servicing this one will give you the confidence to tackle others that you can use in your type of fishing. They are all basically the same and the more mod's and service you do the more experience you'll gain. Next thing you know you'll be building 9/0's "just because". This is how the bug gets ya. Have fun and post pics. We love pics.
Bob
9/0 ??

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Aiala

Quote from: BMITCH on March 03, 2014, 04:19:22 PM
9/0??= BIG REEL :o

Unless you're Shark Hunter, in which case it's a small/medium.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on March 03, 2014, 04:33:40 PM
Quote from: BMITCH on March 03, 2014, 04:19:22 PM
9/0??= BIG REEL :o

Unless you're Shark Hunter, in which case it's a small/medium.   :D

~A~
Wow Aiala that really will stroke Daron's ego.  He should send you a plinth for that comment.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!