Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Spinners
NIB, used in box, and used-no box.

1] An early 50's DAM Quick 250 Standard on the left side. Says in English on the crank-side: "STATIONARY DRUM BAIT CASTING REEL", the tail-plate side says in German:" STATIONAR ROLLE ,  DAM.BERLIN SW68". After WW2, the occupied city was divided into manufacturing/economic zones, DAM was located in SW68. The only plastic on this reel is the handle knob. This baby is built at once like a tank and a well made watch. Possibly a little worn at 70yrs. old, it's not smooth, not quiet, kinda heavy, not pretty——I'll take it!

Check-out the large main gear and a relatively large pinion gear in picture 3. The ratio is about 3.3 : 1.

2] A Shakespeare Maroon series 2062, EB(made in 1969). I really love this reel. In fact, the only negative thing I can say about it, is that there is a hollow aluminum "clank" sound when the bail slams shut. Love to find one NIB.

3] An early 60's DAM Quick Microlite 265. As close to ultralite spinner perfection as it gets, for me. Unusually sturdy for a small spinning reel. Only used it a few times, but I'm honestly thinking of putting PE #4(40lb.) braided line on it to try and go after some bigger fish. Love to get this'n NIB too, but prolly unobtainium.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Nice,  very nice reels.  Thanks for the photos .   The good old days. ;)   

Gfish

A used in box Zebco Cardinal 4

Got it from a guy in the mid-West, so probably no saltwater use and it was in good shape. Very good/innovative designed reel and relatively light-weight. The plastic parts: spool, bail arms, drag knob, handle knob, click gear and drag washer bushing. A well designed gear box and I've never had any water ingress. Unique fulcrum arm actuated drag system with a strategically located adjustment knob. An AR click spring located on the gear box cover and an AR dog that locks on a pinion ratchet above the worm gear section—very strong way to do this. A 5:1 gear ratio, with very smooth cranking action.

Plenty of parts and rather complicated to disassemble/reassemble.

BUT...too much plastic. I posted about this on another thread, specifically about the bail arms. Midway-Tommy, one of the spinner gurus here, commented that he's never seen any breakage of the plastic parts aside from the spools. I tested the drag on this one and using too much torque, broke the keyed carbon fiber washers——my fault. Never have I broken anything else. I did receive a different Card.4 from a seller, with a circular split in the spool, on the arbor-flange interface. Abu company does seem to have some good quality, maybe extra strong plastic composites, but excess mono. pressure + time + too much uv-light, could cause any plastic spool to crack.
Yet another one I'd like to get NIB with the papers, without paying a small fortune. There's a nice tool that came with this one for the rotor nut and the oppsite notched end is needed for the line-roller nut.

There are aluminum aftermarket spools available and I got one. And there seems to be a lot of parts available on da bay.

One thing about the drag, though. 2-Card.4's and a Card.6 for me so far, and I can't seem to get smooth-no start up-drag at the higher drag ranges on any of 'em. The fulcrum brake design? or me?

More latter.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

You have some pretty neat stuff, there, Greg !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

NIB Spinners
1] A late '60's Quick 330 Finessa. Pristine, and yeah, I removed the peanut butter-like aging grease and "Tanized" it. Had to pull the trigger and buy it when I saw a spare spool as a bonus. The DAM guarantee had a lot of words in the info./description, which is a bad sign to me, possibly making it harder to deal with. It came with the spare parts (a nice touch) and a lot of information on 4 pieces of paper. The spool is marked as a 285 and the box says 280? The 285 spool is aluminum and the one that comes with the reel is plastic(left side in pic.)and marked "330". The 285 spool fits perfectly.

Gfish

More;

The box has "DISCO MART'', price $19.97. Why they always godda do that? They can't just use an even $20.00?  Anyone know about this cool named company?: DISCO MART?
The 4th picture is with the bail folded down. This is a suggestion from Fred(foaks), which releases torque pressure on the bail spring, for long or short-term storage. Some spinners will do this, some won't, for example; the older Standard 250 posted above won't, they're both DAM Quick reels, but different designs.

Gfish

NIB Spinners, continued.

A 1974 Mitchell Garcia 300. Pristine. Love these reels. I found one disappointing thing during tear-down and re-greasing; a plastic AR dog. The AR dog!!!??? What were they thinking? Maybe more repair/parts sales/profits?  Bad.
Nice plastic box with a cardboard cover. An extra spool(shallow size) too. Lots of useful paperwork, check-out the guarantee, 5th pic. down: no time limit (as in 1-year...) I don't think it's legal anymore to make customers fill-out and send-in a "registration card" in order to validate a warranty/guarantee, though I could be wrong given the political environment of the last 20 yrs. I remember those registration cards that came with stuff I bought back in the 90's——"So, tell us about yourself...", "what's your yearly income?" etc., etc.
'

Gfish

More MG 300 stuff

Gfish

Last for now, A Penn Spinfisher 714 "Ultra Sport". Seller stated that it may, or may not, have been used. There is some paint loss on the reel seat that tells me it was at least it was put on a rod at one time. 51 parts listed in the schematic, relatively simple. The instruction manual is dated 1975, sounds right. A 1-year guarantee that, like others, sounds more like a warranty to me. Gonna look that'n up to see if those terms are interchangeable. Got the usual beat-up Penn box(though Penn boxes are not the only ones like that). Actually I kinda like beat-up boxes as long as all the paperwork/tools/lube container etc., are there.
This is a solid reel with only 2-Teflon drag washers, a plastic handle knob and plastic drag knob. All the rest looks like well engineered metal parts. Very nice. It's the only Greenie I've ever owned and now I wanna get a used one to see how it performs.

Midway Tommy

Greg, the bail will flip over & lay flat on all the fulcrum brake Cardinals, too. It helps to keep the bail from getting bent, also.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

More Penn 714 Greenie stuff

foakes

Very nice reels, Greg —

All are some of my best friends!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 10, 2021, 04:35:44 AM
Greg, the bail will flip over & lay flat on all the fulcrum brake Cardinals, too. It helps to keep the bail from getting bent, also.

You are correct sir! Hope everything's going good smack dab in the middle of the country for you Tommy. Had a nice day out at the beach today with all the room and parking choices, with very few tourists around. I miss my in-law family though. They're trying to kill my daughter & son-in-law, nurses in the Riverside(So-Cal) area for Kaiser. Both hero's to me now, with lot's of horror stories and on the verge of burn-out. Their hospitals are lookin like N.Y.'s were awhile back with the bodies piling-up. And the Grandchild will be 2 in Feb., I gotta SEND him his kids learning-Mickey Mouse themed spincaster combo., instead of seeing the munchkin in person. I wanna teach/bond with him too!

Gfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 09, 2021, 02:42:17 AM
Nice one Gregg

There should be a generation called the "Zebco generation" anyone with a pulse and is over 50 years old had to have had a Zebco in thier younger days
Ha! Yup. Box headed your way in 2 weeks or so...

Gfish

Quote from: mo65 on January 09, 2021, 01:57:09 PM
   Nice additions to your collection G! My Dad was a Johnson man all the way...I still have Pop's old Johnson reels...if they could only speak. 8)

Thanks, Mo!
My ethnocentric Minnesota aunts & uncles used them; "Johnson from Mankato, Minnesota, must be a good ol' boy Swede, must be a great reel".
'