5500c question

Started by yedneck, March 12, 2014, 01:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yedneck

So I've been doing some reading, staring at schematics til they're fuzzy.  But I still have a few questions.  I just picked up an old ('77) 5500c flat side, silver.  Was looking into dual bearing worm gear, bearing cog and new spool.  I have an old donor c3, was going to use the spool in that for my project.  My question:  the c3 shaft isn't gonna work with the flat side.  So, is it as simple as finding a different spool shaft such as for a cl, or do I just forget it and replace the end bushings with bearings?  

Ken_D

Hi. More info needed. RE: your '77...Do you have 2 end caps,. one on each plate? Is your crank side, sideplate,  also totally flat?

What year is your donor reel? What does its cranks side, sideplate look like, compared to your 77? If the frame is original, what are the numbers underneath on the reel foot?

Based on your info, subject to correction after you re-post,  it sounds like you want to use an ultracast spool and axle in a solid axle reel. Highly unlikely mod. Too many parts incompatibility. Bushings?  An early C uses bearings, so did someone steal the bearings and replace with bushings?

yedneck

Sorry about the lack of info.  Yes, it has 2 end caps.  It does have bearings, that was my mistake.  Reel foot reads 770802.  Both sides are flat.  I figured it was a long shot, but since I have the c3 parts laying around, thought I might give it a try

Ken_D

Hi... about all you could do is change the gearset out to the high speed of the day. They used to have a kit. But it went away. I'll see if I can get the number of the kit, so you can see if the individual bits are still available.  

option 1: contact Jerry Foran who does business as hookless, in Florida. He may still have the things you need. Schematics of that time period are rare, I think Nutter has a couple.  

Option 2: modify the axle profile of your spool, after the gearset arrives, to still let the pinion pass snug, but then mill the stubs to 3 mm most of the way, to permit use of modern shims, instead of the Viking shield under the star, and the winged dealee under the other side. Or work with jerry, and have him set you up. He's really good, and quite fair with costs. Regretfully, I'm out, as the postal charges to Canada and back are truly a deal breaker. Both the USPS, and Canada Post, pick your pocket, so work with Jerry if you so choose. Off I go to see if I can still locate the kit for numbers.

Ken_D

Quote from: Ken_D on March 13, 2014, 04:52:24 AM
Hi... about all you could do is change the gearset out to the high speed of the day. They used to have a kit. But it went away. I'll see if I can get the number of the kit, so you can see if the individual bits are still available.  

option 1: contact Jerry Foran who does business as hookless, in Florida. He may still have the things you need. Schematics of that time period are rare, I think Nutter has a couple.  

Option 2: modify the axle profile of your spool, after the gearset arrives, to still let the pinion pass snug, but then mill the stubs to 3 mm most of the way, to permit use of modern shims, instead of the Viking shield under the star, and the winged dealee under the other side. Or work with jerry, and have him set you up. He's really good, and quite fair with costs. Regretfully, I'm out, as the postal charges to Canada and back are truly a deal breaker. Both the USPS, and Canada Post, pick your pocket, so work with Jerry if you so choose. Off I go to see if I can still locate the kit for numbers.

Found the kit..... old 7086...gone, but held the following parts:  4552 hi speed (for the day) main, 4597 pinion, 7078 "top hat" (last metal drag washer), then a black boss spacer, and bellevilles to suit, available all day long...5131, 3904, 7080, 3915.