Newell - pinion gear frozen to spool!

Started by dylan, June 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I think if I've gotta use a torch the Capt. will get the reel back rare ;)  Thanks again!
Dom
[/quote]

I was thinking more well done! ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal, I should have explained further that he's getting back the reel the way he gave it to me... untouched! Brian is one hell of a brave guy to put a torch to that plastic sideplate area... I ain't there yet ;)
Dom

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on April 15, 2011, 03:08:28 AM
   Sal, I should have explained further that he's getting back the reel the way he gave it to me... untouched! Brian is one hell of a brave guy to put a torch to that plastic sideplate area... I ain't there yet ;)
Dom
Did I mis-read something?  I though it was a frozen pinion bearing on a spool...of course I'm thinking of an aluminum spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Bryan,

To tell you the truth I don't know what's holding her up... I can't see inside yet.  I can only assume (you know what that means) that it' got something to do with the spool bearing cause I can't budge the screw in bearing cap at all.  I shot it with  liquid wrench sorta solution, and hope to have some results.  I yanked and twisted 10 minutes ago with no luck, so I sprayed her down again.  I'll let ya know what happens when I yank on her tomorrow.  As for putting a flame thrower to it... I probably have a better chance of burning my house down than I do removing the spool off that bearing? pinion? Till tomorrow gents, thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom how did you make out? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Dom:  Sal is asking about the reel ;).  Not about how you "make out." :o  San Mateo Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Sorry I didn't respond earlier... I was busy making out  ;D

I closed her up yesterday after pulling, twisting, tapping (vigorously), etc...  I used 1/4 can of PB blaster... I even tried a little TSI301 in hopes it would lube it up a bit before I gave up.  Not budging at all.  This really doesn't surprise me cause the reel is rusted all over.  RIP Newell 229-5!  ...But thanks for your help guys.  I rarely ever see actual rust on Penn Senators... corrosion and pitting yes, but not actual brown rust.  What's up with that? I've seen that on almost every Newell I've worked on (around 7 of them)... I'm sticking with Penn in case you didn't already know that ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I'm not surpised. I've seen it before and tried to worn you to put that reel to rest, but I understand, you had to give it a shot. Now try to neutrolize that nasty PB stuff or the only thing you'll be making out with is yourself ;D. You could fry some broccoli di rape with  garlic.... that should do it  ;)

franky

Quote from: broadway on April 18, 2011, 05:39:48 AM
I closed her up yesterday after pulling, twisting, tapping (vigorously), etc...  I used 1/4 can of PB blaster... I even tried a little TSI301 in hopes it would lube it up a bit before I gave up.  Not budging at all.  RIP Newell 229-5!  ...But thanks for your help guys.  I rarely ever see actual rust on Penn Senators... corrosion and pitting yes, but not actual brown rust.  What's up with that? Dom

:o :o Ho Boy :o :o 

Don't worry Dom! I guess that makes the two of us.  In looking back at my previous post, I had my first encounter of the "frozen pinion on the spool shaft" episode....and I lost!  :'(  Dude, this is no small task.  I closed her up just like you did and called it a day.  As I mentioned before, I knew when to draw the line.  ;D 

Whats funny is when you read my former post, you can actually FEEL the frustration in my wording.  As I read your posting, it brings back horror memories of myself.  ;)

Well....at least we both tried.  ;D     

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 18, 2011, 10:58:51 AM
You could fry some broccoli di rape with  garlic.... that should do it  ;)
I second this motion.  Add some Italian sausage,  :-* toss with spaghetti and hot pepper flakes.  :-* Accompany it with a good bottle of Zin. ;)  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Sal,
    You know that reel is sitting on my balcony cause I'm sick of smelling that crap... gotta be toxic at the very least! Wish I could cook... does it work if you order in?  ;D

Franky,
    I should have followed your lead.  When you were explaining the process I knew it was gonna be a doosy an just not worth it, but had to give it a go.  You put a lot more effort than I did, and that's why I quit when I did... it wasn't going anywhere.

Dominick,
   I don't wanna come to Cali to fish I wanna come over for dinner.  You must be a hell of a chef, and I bet you serve some good wine with the meal!  You and Sal should start a recipe section on this site so some of my vixens can make me some nice meals (I'm a lil' spoiled).

Thanks for trying with me crew!
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on April 19, 2011, 09:06:26 PM
Sal,
    You know that reel is sitting on my balcony cause I'm sick of smelling that crap... gotta be toxic at the very least! Wish I could cook... does it work if you order in?  ;D

Balcony??? Is that what they are calling fire escapes now :).  We used to call it the lanai.  Yes, I'm about the best cook I know, since my mother is gone.  Funny thing Dom, my grandmother used to live in the corner building on Houston and Thompson.  (northwest corner).  I just received her recipe for pizza rustica (Easter Pie).  I'm on it this weekend.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Sal,

Dom, I know how nasty that stuff is and decided not to use it again. I don't like to use anything that smells even when it's sealed in a Tupperware container. About ordering in, it won't work Dom, I pick my own wild broccoli in the fields around this time of year.... you have a slim chance finding wild broccoli di rape where you're at. :(

Domenicuccio, Pizza rustica is one of my favorite, hey maybe we could open a restaurant and make Dom and Rob our partners, Never mind if I remember correctly, Rob thought that focaccia was  part of a reel or something like that ;D ;D ;D

broadway

Focaccia?? Isn't that a new reel company outta Italy?  ;D ;D

Hey Sal,
     Maybe I oughta go to your hous for dinner... Wild broccoli?  Hey Dominick, do you remember what they used the term broccoli for in the neighborhood?  Well Sal's is WILD!  LOL!
Thanks for the laugh
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Hey Dylan -
Your original question was about broccoli di rape and pizza rustica, wasn't it? ;D ;D  I vaguely remember something about a 229-5 or maybe I was dreaming (probably about ordering focaccia from Daiwa. ;) )  I miei amici italiani get a bit carried away at times.  ::)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD