LH reel with RH parts???

Started by Keta, March 26, 2014, 08:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Is there any thing that will cause problems if I use right hand gears in a left hand 113H?  I occasionally have people on my boat that can not use a standard reel and I want to build a LH one for them to use. My factory LH 349H stays home.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

with the wrong orientation, the pinion gear will be forced away from the gear, not down against it, with helical gears.  with straight cut gears, it will not matter. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

The gears I was going to use are Alan C's helical cut gears.  Oh well, I'll just use them in a right hand reel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2014, 08:28:20 PM
Is there any thing that will cause problems if I use right hand gears in a left hand 113H?  I occasionally have people on my boat that can not use a standard reel and I want to build a LH one for them to use. My factory LH 349H stays home.
Tell those guys to rotate the rod about 180 degree ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I see tourist do it all the time. Flip it over and wind backwards. Looks silly but it works.

Keta

I'll draw up a LH 349 dog and use the LH 113H gearsleve in a 349 for them.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

you can still get left handed gears from Penn Parts for the 113H.

They make it easy to order the conversion parts:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/113H-Left-Conversion.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Mark Twain