Quick and easy rod racks

Started by Legal Bill, March 29, 2014, 09:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legal Bill

Hi guys.  I though I'd put together a quick "how-to" on my PVC rod racks.  These are great for people looking for custom spacing as you can make them to your own dimensions.  They are also great outdoor organizers for pre fishing trip management and post trip clean-up.  They are quick, cheap and easy to make.

First, the raw materials.  I use 1.5 inch inside diameter pvc pipe.  For every rack, you need 4 90 degree pieces for the ends.  Each rod you plan to store will stand in the central opening of a three way connector.  So you need as many three way connectors as fishing rods you plan to store.  As you will see, you will be making a two row rod holder so there will be an even number of three way connectors.  For this exercise, I'm making a 10 rod holder, so I have 10 3-way connectors.  You also need PVC glue.  I'm using Oatey's primer and glue that comes in a two pack with built in applicators.

Legal Bill

First we make up the sub-assemblies.  For this rack, I first cut eight 6 inch sections of PVC pipe.  These eight pieces will serve as the spacers between the three way connectors.  Just mark the PVC pipe every six inches and then cut at the mark.  I'm using a table saw for cutting the pipe.  This saw belonged to my dad until he died and I remember him using it back when I was a kid.  Note the safety markings on the power switch!  :D

Legal Bill

I chamfered the ends, but it really isn't necessary.  I also primed the pipe before I applied the glue, but remember, these unions do not need to be water tight.  The glue alone would probably be fine.  Here you see all the spacers primed.  I also prime the inside of the three way connectors.

Legal Bill

Next we connect the three way connectors to each other with the spacers.  Coat the end of a spacer piece with glue and insert it into a three way with a slight twist.  The first one is simple.  When you connect to the second three way, you want them to be aligned.  I stick on the next three way, then lay them on the floor and stand on them so that both three ways are leveled by my weight and the concrete floor.

Legal Bill

Now repeat the process and we have two rails completed.

Legal Bill

Now we need to make the end pieces.  This is where the four 90 degree bend pieces come in.  You need to decide how much space you want between the two rows.  For this rack, I cut two 9 inch connectors to serve as spacers between the two 90s and thus, the two rows.  I then cut four 4 inch connectors that will tie the end caps to the two rows.  First, glue up the two 90s to the 9 inch spacer and then repeat for the other end.

Legal Bill

Next, you glue in the two 4 inch spacers into the open end of the 90s and they are ready to be inserted.  At this point, I also cut ten 5 inch lengths of pipe to extend the top opening of the three way to create the length I want in order to receive and hold the rods straight.  All these spacers and primed, glued and installed.  

At this point, you have four sub-assemblies.  Two rows and two end caps.

Legal Bill

Now put the sub assemblies together.  Glue and insert one side of one end cap into one of the rails.  Make sure the end cap is flat on the floor and the rod receivers are 90 degrees to the end cap.  Now apply glue to the other side of the end cap and insert it into the second rail.  Again, make sure the second rail is 90 degrees to the floor.  Ok, one end cap is on.

Then move to the other end of the two rails.  Apply glue to both sides of the second end cap and insert both sides into the two rails at the same time.  Very quickly make sure the rails and end caps are all flat on the floor.  I stand on mine quite a bit during the entire process.

Legal Bill

That's about it.  You can drill a few holes in the bottom in you like to let water drain out.  Good luck.

Bill

Ron Jones

I like it!
I'm putting 1 on the back of my yak and a modified one on the ceiling of the garage.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

That's awesome.  I think I will have to make a few.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Neat idea and very nice tutorial.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jg125

They look great and would look better on the back of my pickup truck just kidding btw they sell clear pvc primer so you don't have all them purple stains. looks like my next project

Legal Bill

Thanks guys.  Yeah jg125, I wasn't too careful with the primer on this rack.  She will spend most of her life outside so I wasn't too concerned about appearance and I had to get this done before dinner.   ;D  I spent some time cleaning up and clarifying the text.  I hope some of you find this useful.  I'm just glad to add something to this great site.