penn squall sql60ld line capacity

Started by jg125, March 29, 2014, 11:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg125

Yesterday I decided to spool my reel up with 500yds of 80# power pro braid and a 100yd 80#mono top shot that I worked out using line caculator. The spectra dia of 0.17 and the mono dia of .035. penn specs on that reel is 900yds of 80# braid I was only able to get the 500yds of 80# specta on and the reel was full so I checked my calculations using serveral line calculators and they all came in within a couple yards of one another what I originally figured out. I was wondering if their line specs were for like  berkley braid with has a smaller diameter like for 80# is 0.24 mm or .010" just wondering if anyone else ran across this yet. BTW I used about 10# of pressure spooling it on tight.

Porthos

How many pounds of drag was applied on the braid spool during the line transfer?

jg125

Forgot to put that in. about 10lbs started on my freinds spooling machine but with that much pressure it started to overheat the motor so I finished by hand

jg125

I also respooled my torque 300ld with power pro braid and a mono top shot and it worked out perfect.

johndtuttle

sorry you're having trouble with this.

I'd ask you to post on the Penn Forum at Stripersonline.com and tell them of your findings. They will either be able to tell you just what braid diameter they used in their calculations or fix the error in their published numbers.

alantani

there are so many different line diameters that i'm not surprised it was off, but i am surprised it was THAT far off. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jg125

Thanks John and Alan for the reply I did post this on a local site called the bassbarn got inboxed by a penn rep if he can call me I replied back with my number than he called me a short time later and basically said it was the diameter of the power pro that their spectra is thicker than most. but the same time I spooled my torque 300 with power pro and it worked out great with their stated line capacity I do know that berkley braid is alot thinner maybe they got their numbers from their own product.