Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 01, 2014, 02:21:03 AM
As Robert has suggested "lathe spinning". I don't even know what he means by that (hence my "hack" status). I have already had an offer to have rings roughed out on the water cutter, that would save a heap of time.

Spinning is a type of cold forming in the lathe. You would put a sheet metal disc in the lathe together with a mandrel of appropriate size (your steel template) and use a roller tool to form the outer edge over 90 degrees. Working time in lathe, 60 seconds, plus trimming. Plus making the blanks of course.

Advanced scholars can use the technique to make complicated vases, chalices and so on, but it is still a great trick for a hack to have in their repetoire for geometrically simpler items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_spinning

Ron Jones

A lantern is the first spinning project most get in school, I have thought that rings could be made that way, but those milled rings here sure are pretty.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rothmar2

Wow! Just read the wiki link, and then did a YouTube search. This is the way to do it!
Seeing as the rings are pretty much 1mm thick, it is well within the scope of this technique. Much less time and wastage involved. Looks like I've got some more research to do. My only reservation would be rigidity of the spun part, not that it would matter greatly. Definitely something I would like to try at some stage.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

it has probably been suggested, but how about producing some for the 4/0. just an idea... :) i'll be the 1st one or 2nd or 3rd to buy... ;D ;D ;D

Rothmar2

Started on the double dogging today. Set up the dremel tool on my bench drill to mill the space for extra dog.

I went for alternating at this stage, but will make another dog for simultaneous engagement.

While I was trying to figure out how to get the right side-plate all together, this turned up......

Couldn't help myself, I had to have a sneak peek!!!!

Still a long way to go. Have to get in some more screws, the reel was missing a heap when I got it.  Also the drag star is broken. Any word weather a stainless star is available yet for the 6/0? Will also look into new handle and crank soon, will have to start saving for BP gears as well.
Thank you so much Alan for supplying the frame.
Am going all the way with this!

Ron Jones

That is a very sexy reel. Congratulations!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Those rings really set that reel off! Rothmar! You are on your way buddy! I suggest one of Lee's Keta Krank's and a Kokelar grip from Alan. Without the slots for the harness lugs, it gives it that sleek look. :o I am Impressed! ;)
Life is Good!

OldSchool

That's a nice look. Impressive. I want one..or two

erikpowell

WoW  :o :o  That's a work of art man.. gorgeous!
Rothmar, those stainless rings are the missing link in the whole evolution of the Senator to the TaNK !
Nice work..
I read up on the spinning too... Boom!

Rothmar2

S.H. Yes, I'll definitely be going Keta's crank, but I love those anodized ally handles.
Erik, the spinning is definitely the method, for someone skilled at it. I'm not too sure I'd be able to get them accurate enough without some considerable practice. I would also need to make another mandrel due to the subtle differences in spigot size between each side plate. But I think this would be the way forward, for someone willing to put the time into producing them for others.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: erikpowell on April 12, 2014, 07:26:38 AM
...those stainless rings are the missing link in the whole evolution of the Senator to the TaNK !
X2

i'm really impressed. how i wish i have the tools to put my ideas into realities. oh well...:)

Big Tim

WOW...this makes me want to go buy a lathe and mill...Stellar work  :o

Rothmar2

Have got a little more done recently. My last trip to work was busy, but found time to advance things a bit further.
First up was to remake the ratchet.

I had to demel away the pressed rivet to get it apart

I had pre-ordered some E clips from Scotts to make the newer updated removable ratchet set-up, a much better design. Just used a few drills to find the shaft size that the E clip would require to get a good hold.

Also take a few measurements from the original piece for reference

Scrounged a 16mm 316 stainless bolt to turn this piece down from, and mount in lathe

Measure off knob height, and part off, and roughed sized the rest of the shaft to be finished later

The head was shaped with  a few cuts to rough down, and then shaped by hand using a few different rat-tailed files, some emery of various grades, before final polish with Autosol. I tried to remain faithful to the original shape.

Turn down the rest of the shaft to the diametre for a snug fit through the sideplate

In this next shot, I have turned the end of the shaft down to 3.5mm as the boss diametre for the ratchet, and then shaped a thin HSS tool to cut the groove for the E-clip.

Once happy, part the piece off, leaving a flange of 0.5mm thick for the E-clip to be held in. The boss length is a shade over 3mm as I will be using 3mm stainless to shaped the ratchet from

Remove the remaining piece left over from parting off with a belt sander, and then done. You will notice that there is a slight difference in the knob sizing, this was done as I have made some thin delrin washers to place either side if the side plate so as not to wear away at the plate by the ratchet in and out.

Next drill a 3.5mm hole through a piece of 3mm thick flatbar

Use a bolt to hold the original ratchet in place to mark around

Carefully cut out and file to shape. Now the first ratchet I made was no problem fitted, it slid in and out on the copper spring, but with the left side bearing screwed in to take out all the axial spool play, I noticed that the wear pattern on the ratchet wheel of the new Tiburon spool, was only showing a very slight overlapp of the rachet and the wheel, only about 0.5mm, and subsequently the ratchet wasn't very loud, and actually skipped off every now and then and put a bit of binding on the spool as the rachet would now rub on the side of the wheel, rather than engage with the wheel teeth (if that makes sense). I currently have a 0.5mm shim made to rest up against the right side shaft bearing to make the spool rest more to the left. This concerned me, as here is a shot of the original spool, and you can see what has happened to the ratchet wheel and the way it has been worn down. The photos I took of the wear on the new Tib spool wheel, don't show this problem very well.

So I re-made the rachet from 5mm stainless flatbar, with a step to give more interference with the wheel, ie like this.....

The ratchet is now much louder, and does not slip off. There is a delrin washer either side of this assembly to protect the sideplate.

I also made a handle from stainless. I didn't get any fabrication shots, as I forgot to bring my phone with me. But here is where I'm at. The bush around the shaft is delrin. The actual handle has been drilled from each end to save weight. The shaft is a 6mm cap head bolt, with the outer sleeve 12.5mm diametre over the bush, and it screws into the handle with a 3/8 BSP thread. Its not finished, there is a little more honing to be done, as it is a little tight at this point. I was going to make a crank as well, but run out of time. Keta, if you're reading this, I'm still keen to purchase one of your cranks to save myself this work, I feel your's will be of much better quality than what I will be able to make myself.

I am hoping to order a set of BP gears and the yoke this leave, and then I will be very close to being ready to fish this reel.

Shark Hunter

That Handle is Sick! :o Awesome job My Man!
Life is Good!