Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

I'm hoping so Fred. I probably won't be looking into going for more washers in the drag stack until I've fished it for a while. I think with the honed stock drags it will be more than capable of what I have in mind for it.
Sal, if you think "your not all there", my mates think I'm well gone by spending so much time on a "crappy old Senator". But secretly I think they are all hanging to have a shot with the finished product!
To hell with what others think, I'm having quite a time doing this work, learning a lot about these reels, and myself, as I go.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on October 16, 2014, 09:48:29 PM
I'm hoping so Fred. I probably won't be looking into going for more washers in the drag stack until I've fished it for a while. I think with the honed stock drags it will be more than capable of what I have in mind for it.
Sal, if you think "your not all there", my mates think I'm well gone by spending so much time on a "crappy old Senator". But secretly I think they are all hanging to have a shot with the finished product!
To hell with what others think, I'm having quite a time doing this work, learning a lot about these reels, and myself, as I go.
Don't ever give up my friend, most of us here get it what its all about.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Doug

Shark Hunter

You are a Genius Chris! I wish I had access to tools like that.
Sal, What are you doing? Is that Stone Mason Jenga? ;)
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 16, 2014, 10:33:38 PM
Sal, What are you doing? Is that Stone Mason Jenga? ;)

:D :D

Here are some details on the crank/handle

Parts laid out, only thing that hasn't been made by me is the cap head bolt for the handle shaft. (M6mm stainless)

A few notes. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was going to order one of the cranks made by Adam or Lee, but I had made a rough crank out of some 3mm flat bar to test mount the handle on. What I noticed straight away there was a significant tipping moment to the right when holding the reel up. I knew right there and then it was going to be back on the lathe to machine out some more weight from the handle. Initially I had drilled 16mm on the long end of the handle, and 18.5 from the top. What I ended up doing was silver soldering a tungsten carbide tool the the end of a own made stainless boring bar in order to dovetail the inside of the handle to remove weight from each end. I also made some accurate depth measurements to get in fairly close to where the shaft sleeve screws into the side of the handle. It was a very tedious couple of hours work to trim down the weight. The handle is now about 2mm thick all the way except for the sleeve socket. It was then I saw one of the Accurate offset cranks on one of Sal's reels and thought that this would be another good move to reduce the tipping moment. I found that 3mm flat was not thick enough for a crank, and the only other flat bar I could get my hands on at the time was 5mm. Ideally I would have preffered 4mm. I would like to say I made a nifty bending jig to get the off set, but no, I did it old school panel beating style....pipes, hammers and a sturdy vice.....and a fair bit of cursing and sweat, but I eventually got the shape i was after. I then drilled 2 holes to shed a bit of weight from the crank, then hand filed the key for the gear sleeve. Finally I drilled and tapped M4 for the locking screw.
It was then onto the belt sander to tidy up all the surface scarring from the forming process (read percussive persuation!). I worked through a few grades of emery, then an air driven buffing wheel (shown when I machined the rings), and ultimately using the little cloth wheels you can get for the Dremels with some Bordo polishing compound to bring out the shine. Fair bit of work involved there. But I like the results. The handle was also given similar treatment.

You can see the delrin bush fitted to the sleeve. This end acts as a bearing of sorts with the shaft nut.

Grease up the shaft for install. Note another delrin washer under the cap head.

Install shaft into the sleeve. Grease up the sleeve socket on the handle.

Screw in the sleeve. (M13 spanner used for the flats filed onto the end of the sleeve.)

Wind up the shaft nut. A 3.5mm drill was used to put some tommy holes into the side of the shaft nut. The drill acts as a torquing bar. Having this arrangement allows adjustment of the end float of the sleeve on the shaft.

Place handle shaft through the crank, and wind on the locking nut. Also filed to be 13mm on the flats. Use the drill to hold the shaft nut in position, and tighten the lock nut with the spanner.

And done!

OK, so here is a bit of view of what its going to look like......

With this handle, I can trip the clutch lever with my thumb while winding, and bang it striaght into gear.

Now why I said I was not happy with the first delrin/stainless top hat. With the star screwed onto the top hit with the little spring washer in place, I seem to have a fair bit of thread showing between the handle and the star. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I'm thinking of re-making the stainless sleeve for it with a thicker flange at the top, to reduce this gap......mmm maybe later, maybe never.

Am I finished? No. I still have a problem with the ratchet. The brass rivets that hold the copper ratchet spring are loose, so the whole sping moves, and thus the ratchet is not very consistent sounding, or effective. I have a plan to fix this, will post the solution when I have done it.

broadway

Let me say, that reel is a work of art, and I know others have said it, but I can't help myself.
If those ever get mass produced, I'm a buyer, FO SHO! ;)
You've put a lot of hard work into that baby. I don't know if I'd use it if I had put in all that work, but if you do I hope you really nail a winner... you earned it.
Thanks for showing us what lots of skill, access to tools, and passion can do.
Dom

Shark Hunter

Rothmar,
That Handle is Sick! I guess all the cursing paid off. ;) I can relate.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

That has to be the sweetest reel I have ever seen. To boat a monster with that thing would be the most gratifying experience ever!

jonnou

Marcq

The definition  of beautiful  8) Well made sir!!

Marc..

foakes

Hi Rothmar --

Great work...once again.

I particulary like how you hollowed out the grip ends to reduce outboard weight.

And the way you offset the crank arm more towards the centerline of the reel.

IMO, these two adjustments are critical when landing a fish -- so that there is less side tilt from the outboard weight of the handle -- and better control with your line lay. 

Basically, less distraction -- more natural control.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

Pure demonstration of why good is the enemy of perfect! every bit of work into that was worth it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rothmar2

Thanks again for all the kind words. If I inspire just one person to have a go at doing some of these mods, it would have been worth the journey and effort to post the info here.

redsetta

QuoteIf I inspire just one person to have a go at doing some of these mods, it would have been worth the journey and effort to post the info here.
There's no doubt you've achieved that!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

David Hall

I can't wait to see the finished reel mounted on a sturdy rod.
Bent over double and Rothmar grinning!
Well done!
I'm going to raise a pint and toast your post?
Thanks for sharing.