Reel clamp, when is it necessary?

Started by Mandelstam, April 09, 2014, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I'm browsing for a new rod to take to Norway for halibut fishing. I've seen a model that has gotten nice reviews and the price is right but the problem is that it has a reel seat that doesn't seem to work with a reel clamp. I think it's an Alps Trilex with finger grips on the underside.

http://www.alpstackle.com/index.php?func=product&gid=4&act=view&pro_id=29

So my question is, when do you think a reel clamp is starting to get necessary? I'm going to use a Tiburon framed 113h. The rod is classed 30-70lbs.

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

doradoben

Personally, I try to always use a clamp if the reel accepts one. But I don't have any rods with reel seats that interfere with installation.

Ron Jones

I agree, I've never thought about when one is necessary because I've always used one when I can. I have had a large catfish pull a baitcaster off a rod without a clamp and that sucks. Anything and everything you can do helps.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I will always use a reel clamp if my drag setting is above 15#s, considering that my reel seat hoods are made of aluminum, stainless steel or brass.  Graphite only reel seats, always use clamp above 10# of drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm just wondering why they would put a reel seat like that on a 30-70lbs rod.. :/ Everything else looks good.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Dominick

Karl:  Have you seen the actual rod?  It makes no logical sense to put finger grips in that position for any size rod and especially for 30 to 70 lbs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I'm with Dominick. You need the combined strength of the clamp and seat.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 09, 2014, 09:50:53 PM
I'm with Dominick. You need the combined strength of the clamp and seat.
Thanks Daron it feels good to be agreed with.  Also when a reel is in place one's hand would be jammed against the reel to take advantage of the finger indentations, or am I looking at this wrong?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Mandelstam

It really seems funky the more I think about it...

I'm now looking at another rod. :)

Thanks again guys!

CapeFish

those ALPS aluminium trigger winches look really nice! Pity they are all so small and not available in 21 and 24mm

Jon Vadney

This is an older thread, but I thought it might be worth bumping.  Reel clamps have, for the most part, become pointless beyond being a great place to act as a hook keeper.  Look at the vertical jigging market.  Almost all of the reelseats used are graphite because the rods bend back into the area where the reel seat is secured to the blank.  An aluminum seat doesn't flex and can act a shearing point whereas the graphite seat will flex a little bit with the rod.  The guys who are hardcore into the vertical jigging scene will fish for giant bluefin tuna with 40-50 pounds of drag on a regular fuji DPSM or PSS trigger and I haven't heard of any failures in the reel seats.  Below are pics of bluefin being fought on vertical jigging gear with ridiculous drag settings, and you'll notice, no one has a clamp on their reel (or they are using a spinning reel):

600 pound bluefin tuna, 34 pounds of drag, and a Fuji PSS seat

MFB

Hi Jon,

Are you saying that graphite reel seats are better than alloy ones?

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Jon Vadney

Oh no, not at all.  I'm just saying that the holding power of a reel seat is significantly underestimated by most anglers and I used these reel seats as an extreme example.

MFB

That's a relief, I have based some of my rod buying decisions on reel seats. I was surprised to see a Fuji graphite one on my Daiwa monster mesh.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton