Leather thumb drag/protection on a 113h Tank

Started by Mandelstam, April 11, 2014, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Quote from: OldSchool on April 13, 2014, 02:55:45 PM
Idk ....we drink a lot of beer in Aus and ive never seen or even heard of a beer drinking glove till now...lol...Kudos to u ....only in America  ;D

;D ;D ;D Here is my custom cold weather drinkin' mittn'  ;D ;D ;D

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Big Tim

Quote from: Mandelstam on April 13, 2014, 04:59:55 PM
I love the turn this thread has taken! :D

Just so you know because of you I'm looking thru my old Harley stuff to find one of my old belts, so that I can cut it up and make a leather thumb drag for my next project or even for my 112H I just built...Now I know I'm hooked.

Tim

conchydong

Captain Harry's in Miami sell these finger protectors for a buck. Just a piece of leather with elastic to wrap around your finger or thumb. Works for righties and lefties. ;)
BTW Big Tim, that is blasphemous drinking a Miller with a Budweiser drinking glove.

Tightlines667

This stuff works wonders if your casting a lot, as and hard-core Musky (fish of 10,000 casts) fishermen would tell you.  Also good to have in the first aid kit to seal Knicks and cuts when in a wet environment.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

LTM

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 13, 2014, 08:46:26 PM
This stuff works wonders if your casting a lot, as and hard-core Musky (fish of 10,000 casts) fishermen would tell you.  Also good to have in the first aid kit to seal Knicks and cuts when in a wet environment.
Tightlines,

Are you saying that this is a substitute for the thumb brake or as a first aide treatment after the fact?

Leo

Ron Jones

Its both. If you use it before, and keep it built up, it will help with line burn tremendously. If you don't, it will stop the bleeding.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Yes,
The fish of 10,000 casts has evaded my efforts. I've had them follow my Hellbenders right to the boat, and nothing gets your blood pumping like seeing a 6 foot Muskie turn his tail and swim away from you! ::) I am strictly a saltwater fisherman now. The payoff is much quicker. ;)
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

So, been throwing some ideas back and forth with Dom and we've decided to go with another route that doesn't involve drilling the frame. It's a simpler solution but it's also non removable. But I think both me and Dom feel a little bit safer that it doesn't involve any drilling. If you want to change something later on you sort of have a blank canvas when you remove it and that can be good.

Leather is folded around the frame and then riveted with a ss pop rivet.

A cross section of the whole thing. The leather thickness is from leather scraps I had lying around. I think it will work out fine.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

erikpowell

Too easy!.....Good solution  ;)
I'd go with that if it was me. keep it simple..... KISS

Irish Jigger

Quote from: erikpowell on April 15, 2014, 07:23:50 AM
Too easy!.....Good solution  ;)
I'd go with that if it was me. keep it simple..... KISS

x2, great idea.

Alto Mare

It shows you're an Architect ;D, very nice Karl. Maybe you could use a stainless sex-bolt instead of a rivet, just in case you want to remove it or get in there to clean it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

It might get hot enough without the sex- bolt sal ;)

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 15, 2014, 10:00:24 AM
Maybe you could use a stainless sex-bolt instead of a rivet, just in case you want to remove it or get in there to clean it.
X2
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Karl, you ARE aware that snaps, flush rivets and similar are easily available from places like Clas Ohlson, Panduro, Olsson's Tyger and so on..?  If you are interested, i mean.