"El Mar" 113h T4NK Build

Started by TechTeach, May 03, 2014, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechTeach

After a long hiatus reading on this site I came back a month or so ago for reference on 5 113h's I was readying/rebuilding for wire line trolling and discovered all kinds of mods you guys have been playing with for the good old Made in USA Penn reels. Inspired, I dusted off my Tiburon T4N frame that I bought many years ago and never used and fired up my paypal account.

Most of my parts are here, still need a handle and maybe a 7 stack but all is good to start the build. This will progress at a leisurely pace so you (and I) can enjoy the build. Always looking for feedback so feel free to chime in.

First pic are the reels needed to start. The one with the frame on it is stock, just put together as a place holder years ago and the other one is a nice old girl that the side plates will be used for the finished tank.

Pic of the disassembly. Yes that is a Baja Special in the corner, I have a problem.

Pic of the frame and some goodies from Alan, Lee and Black pearl.

And the side plates which will be used for the completed reel. The one on the right has been buffed, one on left not yet. Off we go.

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

TechTeach

Here's a question.

When the drive gear engages the spool, it hangs up a little bit. Should I file, lap or relieve this connection? Or just let it wear in?

Keta

Nice, especially the maroon side plates. 

I'd dress the spool shaft with a fine file or stone.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TechTeach

I hit the flats with a fine stone. Upon inspection with magnifying glasses there were small burrs on the ends.

Much better now.

Cone

Nice reel! It's official, you've joined the dark side.  ;)  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Looking good there TT. Anytime you put in a ss yoke, on any Senator, you need to hit the jack tabs with some fine emery cloth, or they will hang up. If you force the freespool lever, you will Break the tab off the side plate. I've seen it happen.
I have yet to get a Baja Special. Nothing wrong with your Problem. ;)
Life is Good!

TechTeach

Thanks for the tip SH. Upon closer inspection, the older reel seems to have rounded tabs (on left in pic) and the newer part ends are squared off. Which should I use? Also, should I chamfer the SS yoke a little where it contacts the tabs? It has a noticeable "round" side from the water jet or stamp that cut it out. I'll be sure to put that side in contact with the tabs.

Another question. For the bridge post, what is the best lube to use under the sleeve? Blue grease seems like it would stay best but a lighter oil seems like it would be better for maintenance since the grease would block any future "oilings".

Thanks again guys.

Alto Mare

Sides of the tabs are fine, ease the top edge a little with a file, fine sandpaper or anything you have and it will cure it. Rounded stamped part of the yoke should always face up.
For the sleeve you could use grease or oil, I'm starting to use Reel-X on my.
You Know TT, eventually we will get your name, we always do ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TechTeach

No secret on my first name Sal, it's Bryan. I've actually been around here for a while, just not active in the posting. Here's my original post.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=139.0

If you mean the TechTeach thing, I'm a high school shop teacher.

Also I'm going to be looking to you for guidance on the double dog step, here is the initial layout. I think I'm going to go the solder route to keep the dog spring in. You can see the scribe line of the side of the plate. Should I relieve the dog a little to make room for the spring?

Keta

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 04, 2014, 01:11:49 PM

.... I'm a high school shop teacher. [/img]

Nice to see someone teaching kids how to use their hands.  The last "real job' I did was setting up a wood and metal shop in a new high school in southern Washington state, I was the head millwright for the company but I did the work on this one.  Everything was first class unlike the schools in southern Oregon where I live that are always short on funding.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Bryan, it will help if you do shave a little off, Here is how I do it

I remove the material shown in black and the dog gets rounded a little more, by the red line.

Sorry I didn't remember your name, that was before I was born ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TechTeach

Thanks for the guidance Sal, looks like the Dremel is the next step for me.

Got the side plates buffed out and waxed today. All dressed up now. The pics don't do them justice.

TechTeach

Played with the second dog cutout today, still needs more work.

I'm trying to use a ball end mill to create a pocket for the spring to ride in and avoid the need for solder. We'll see if it works. If not I got a tourch and plenty of flux.

Any advice appreciated.

Alto Mare

Good Job Bryan, nice and clean.
Sal

Shark Hunter

Yes, Good Job Bryan! ;D
This is what mine looks like with the bridge screwed down. I don't think that spring is going anywhere. Your cut looks just like mine.
Life is Good!