bluefin. no details, but.....

Started by alantani, May 04, 2014, 10:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

no details yet, but steve carson says that the bluefin arrived yesterday.  our trip is a little more than a month out.  guys, keep your fingers crossed.  it's looking like everything is coming together.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaBigOno

Here we go...

Better start practicing how to cast a bait!!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

SoCalAngler

Maybe the time will be right :)

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO) DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
issued by
CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP/NWS
and the International Research Institute for Climate and Society
8 May 2014
ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Watch
Synopsis: Chance of El Niño increases during the remainder of the year, exceeding 65% during summer.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf

Some reports of BFT 80 miles south of Point Loma. I can't confirm this but the "talk" has people looking with word of some larger models in the mix.

If I can gather better info I'll post it.

bchen

Quote from: Dabigono on May 04, 2014, 10:43:30 PM

Here we go...

Better start practicing how to cast a bait!!

I'm wondering if we're going to have to practice casting anchovies on 40# line.  That'll be a challenge.

DaBigOno

Quote from: bchen on May 10, 2014, 04:52:10 AM

I'm wondering if we're going to have to practice casting anchovies on 40# line.  That'll be a challenge.

We might, that's why I always practice, practice practice casting.   I truly believe on a pick-biite, casting a bait away from the boat is what makes a difference.

Btw, we could use our trout outfits to fight 80# BFT.  ;D
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Quote from: Dabigono on May 10, 2014, 11:32:59 AM

But not for long.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on May 10, 2014, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: Dabigono on May 10, 2014, 11:32:59 AM

But not for long.... ;D

Even a 12-weight outfit.  :-\  ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

I'm just going to find the best caster on the boat and buy him beers to cast mine  ;D

SoCalAngler

In the 25 year run I had chartering the SOA, and our group targeted BFT if any were able to be caught passing up better chances at other fish, I found casting not as important as getting a bait to swim down and out away from the boat. Casting often stuns a bait as it hits the water, splashing down making noise and acting injured, which can be a good thing for surface feeding fish. BFT are not often chasing surface bait like albacore, YFT and yellowtail around paddies offshore, they tend to stay deep and away from the boat. A good method is to butt hook your bait and do a soft underhand lob cast to get the bait swimming down and out. Many times you have to do a long soak of a 100 yards or more before you get into the zone. I also like longer mono toppers when using smaller or weaker bait for BFT as this helps the bait get down better as spectra floats. Does this make a big difference? I don't know but it makes me feel better.

Good luck on your trips guys.

Ron Jones

That's how I've always worked deep bate. I hook a chovie in the collar if I'm casting and right behind the dorsal if I'm sending him down. Especially if I'm fly lining, the hook sitting on top seems to force the bait deeper, or at least that's what I tell myself. I know that it works if you are trying to get the bait down fast before a mackerel hits it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

I also heard a commercial fishing vessel in Mexico, about 700 miles SW, brought in 600+ albacore.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Big Tim

H & M report today: The first BLUEFIN of the year was caught on the Top Gun 80  on their 1-1/2 day offshore trip last weekend! She was a beauty weighing in at 67 pounds. 10 others were hooked, but  got away. 24 Yellowtail were also caught!

I'm a rookie but this seems to be a good sign  ;D

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

DanteV

That's great news, hoping for another great BFT season! I've got a 4-day trip going in August on the Pacific Voyager, it's going to be rough hearing bout all the tuna between now and then..

maxpowers

I will update everyone on my 2 dayer this weekend.  We are still doing a rockcod/yellowtail trip but if we get any report prior to Friday that the BFT are closing in, I think the trip will switch to a offshore BFTs hunt.  Probably will have to bump up the cost a little bit.