How to make gear engagement manual vs. automatic

Started by pompano joe, May 07, 2014, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

I don't want my Ambassadeur to engage the gear with handle movement.  Anybody got an idea on disabling and changing the thumb release so it can be lifted?
Pompano Joe

Keta

Do you want it to engage when you take thumb pressure off of the thumb bar?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Quote from: pompano joe on May 07, 2014, 02:38:08 AM
I don't want my Ambassadeur to engage the gear with handle movement.  Anybody got an idea on disabling and changing the thumb release so it can be lifted?

And how did you envision the reel _making_ crank, from cast? Which Abu do you have?

pompano joe

I'm surf casting a modified 5500 C3 with a power knob that doesn't have a counter-balance.  Engages the gear unless I put the handle in a full-down position.  Obviously, sometimes I don't! 

I like the light weight of the Ambassadeurs for the type fishing we do here on the Gulf Coast, so I'm trying to make my 5000-6000 series reels manual...kind of like the eccentric lever on a Penn Senator, Daiwa Sealine, etc.  I've modified one already by removing the bottom of the clutch bar and the small spring from the clutch module.  Turning the handle no longer engages the gears.  I push the button down to cast, then pull it back up to engage.  It works...just a little awkward.  Wondering if anyone else has a better solution?

Pompano Joe

ossipeter

Ken_D

Edited. Post below from planetfishing solves all.

Fish-aholic

Ron Jones

That is brilliant. I have seen that notch before and wondered what it was for.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ken_D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pompano joe

Thanks guys!  I did the mod. on my 6500 Pro Rocket Black Edition tonight and it's perfect.  Note to self:  Ask first, cut later!!!  lol!

You guys are absolutely the best!
Pompano Joe

steelfish

Im doing this cuts tonight to my 6500c3 and 5500c

The Baja Guy

mo65

How about that? I've seen those slots cut also and wondered what was up...cool! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

fishhawk

Do you think it was the power handle that caused early engagement? I always thought ambassadeur's do this if you use heavy weights ( 3oz and up) I know my bigger ambassadeur's (7000-10000) all do this and I have the handle your describing on mine. Not quite ready to whack on my abu's!

nelz