My rainshadow build

Started by Topshot, May 07, 2014, 06:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Just wanted to show off one of my rod builds. Wanted something different that would catch your eye It's a rainshadow blank with acid wrapped fuji silicone carbide guides with matching tip top. Custom green and silver marbling with custom made grips. Aluminum reel seat and rubber gimbal ( I don't always use a fighting belt)

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Ron Jones

That is pretty over the top. Really nice work. Is the grip EVA?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Topshot

Thanks buddy.  Ya the grips are eva. The fore grip and rear grip each have 19 individual pieces cut, bonded, and then shaped. It's pretty painstaking but worth it I think
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

DaBigOno

Awesome work Chris!

Top of the line materials and clean workmanship makes it eye-catching for sure
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

maxpowers

"The Green Snake" is my first thought...Its a Chinese mythological being..

Bryan Young

That's one mighty fine looking rod you got there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

that is one "SiCk" rod, nice! thanks for sharing...

Aiala

A work of art... extraordinary! But I am unfamiliar with the spiraling guides, never seen that before. What is the advantage?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

If wrapped correctly, it will keep the rod from trying to turn over under a heavy load.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

anglingarchitect

Doest this produces torsional forces on the rod blank?

Topshot

No it doesnt. The majority of torsion is on the tip of your rod. You actuall have more torsion with a conventional straight guide setup. With a straight guide setup your line is pulling down on the blank from the top. When under heavy load the blank actually wants to twist which is not good. With the acid wrap the last 4 guides are on bottom like a spinning rod, where the line is pulling form the bottom of the blank. A spinning rod never wants to twist because the line is already on bottom of the blank
Michael Baughman

OldSchool

How well do these spiral wrap rods cast. Is it there any difference?

erikpowell

Nice looking rod topshot! that's a work of art.. hope you get to put some bend in to soon!
can I ask how many hours you have into that? and was the grip the most painstaking part?

Jon Vadney

Quote from: OldSchool on May 11, 2014, 03:01:43 AM
How well do these spiral wrap rods cast. Is it there any difference?

Spiral rods cast very well. A lot of how they cast will be determined by the type of spiral guide placement used.  If you use a slow transition (ie: 4-5 guides rotating to the 180 degree axis) you'll lose at MOST 5% distance on a cast.  If you are using a simple-spiral (one guide 0degrees, one 90, the rest 180) it will impact the casting more.  That being said, the simple-spiral is used mainly for jigging rods or rods where they tend to be very parobolic and where you aren't casting.  This "drawback", to me, is negligable when you factor in how much more stability is afforded when fighting a fish.  I don't even own a conventionally wrapped rod anymore.

OldSchool

Quote from: Jon Vadney on May 11, 2014, 01:40:08 PM
[

Spiral rods cast very well. A lot of how they cast will be determined by the type of spiral guide placement used.  If you use a slow transition (ie: 4-5 guides rotating to the 180 degree axis) you'll lose at MOST 5% distance on a cast.  If you are using a simple-spiral (one guide 0degrees, one 90, the rest 180) it will impact the casting more.  That being said, the simple-spiral is used mainly for jigging rods or rods where they tend to be very parobolic and where you aren't casting.  This "drawback", to me, is negligable when you factor in how much more stability is afforded when fighting a fish.  I don't even own a conventionally wrapped rod anymore.

Cheers. I have seen some on the shelf once and they ended up being reduced to clear them. Conventional isn't a big thing in Aus unless maybe trolling and jigging. Its difficult to find rods on the shelf for beach, rock or general conventional fishing aside from bait casters. I notice the USA has some awesome conventional rods.