My rainshadow build

Started by Topshot, May 07, 2014, 06:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Quote from: erikpowell on May 11, 2014, 06:49:03 AM
Nice looking rod topshot! that's a work of art.. hope you get to put some bend in to soon!
can I ask how many hours you have into that? and was the grip the most painstaking part?

I have maybe about 20 hrs into it. I have to do it in between working and taking care of my daughter.  The grip did take the longest due to the fact that they are all individual pieces of foam and then waiting for the contact cement to dry and adding it together piece by piece and then shaping it the way you want. But it's totally worth it in the end
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Steve-O

PLUS+1000 on the spiral(or acid) wrapping the guides. Unless it's a spinning rod already in my quiver, I go spiral wrapped. Even the store bought or used rods I have purchased get re-wrapped spiral style. My kayak rods for carp  with Abu-Garcia bait casters get the same treatment. Amazing difference in the hand when the big fish load up the rod.  You can open your non-reeling hand to see the proof in the pudding.  NO reel TWIST! the reel stays on top and even some big halibut caught in AK on my home builds were no problemo to reel in.

Great looking GREEN rod, BTW!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Steve-O on May 12, 2014, 06:30:04 PM
PLUS+1000 on the spiral(or acid) wrapping the guides. Unless it's a spinning rod already in my quiver, I go spiral wrapped. Even the store bought or used rods I have purchased get re-wrapped spiral style. My kayak rods for carp  with Abu-Garcia bait casters get the same treatment. Amazing difference in the hand when the big fish load up the rod.  You can open your non-reeling hand to see the proof in the pudding.  NO reel TWIST! the reel stays on top and even some big halibut caught in AK on my home builds were no problemo to reel in.

Great looking GREEN rod, BTW!

This.

Spiral wrapped rods > all.