Saltiga max drag increase question

Started by broadway, July 12, 2010, 07:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Crew,

I was using my Saltiga sa30 yesterday to battle some moo cow stripers (25-35 lbs) and as smooth as it was I was thinking that the drag wasn't cranked down too hard, but pretty hard. I thought I was only fishing with about 8 or so lbs of drag, but I don't see how I can get 14 more lbsoutta her. Other than carbontex with Cal's how could I increase the drag.  How many lbs of drag should it pull with the greased carbontex.  I just bought the carbontex drags from Dawn. 22 lbs is MAX right now according to the specs.  Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Hey Dom,

How much more do you want to go?  For some of my reels, I have to crank down on the star pretty hard to get near 15#s and changes slightly as the excess grease gets squeezed out.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Dom,
Was the 8 pounds of drag on the first fish or the last? If it was an earlier fish, you may have squeezed enough grease out to make a difference on your later ones. Just a theory, but if you keep a tighter drag on, your available drag may increase as the excess grease gets pushed out. (Guys, am I all wet on this idea?)
I bagged an 8-10 pound vermillion rockfish and a similar-sized lingcod two weeks ago on my newly-rebuilt Penn 60 and had a "loose" drag until they were landed. Now it feels pretty good.

Don't forget that as more line goes out, your drag efficiency goes up.  Congrats on the cows!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

I'm sorry guys I didn't explain myself properly.  I didn't install the carbontex drags yet and as of today have never cracked that Saltiga opened yet so I'm not sure if it's a grease squeezing out thing yet (don't think they come greased) .  The drags are the stock drags right now, but I did buy the carbontex from smooth drag, which I will install in the very near future.  I was just wondering what I can soup this puppy up to (drag-wise) safely and consistently.  Thanks
Dom

alantani

the daiwa saltiga and saltist star drag reels do not have an easy dog spring conversion yet.  until they do, i would continue to recommend the shimano trinidad or torium over the daiwas.  sorry....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan,

It surprises me that you prefer the trini over the salti.  The Saltigas are built like tanks...My friend dropped his trini on my boat last season and the eccentric lever broke off.  I'm as easy on tackle as anyone, but I don't want my trip to turn sour from an accident like dropping the rod during chaos on the deck. I have never opened a saltiga, but what's wrong with the dog spring set up? Is it a big deal?  Thanks
Dom

alantani

broadway

Alan,

Checked out that thread... that looks much stronger than the daiwa, indeed! your da man. After the greased carbontex drags go in what do you figure I can get out of her...max and consistent drag? Thanks
Dom

alantani

figure a happy 15 pounds and a very strained 20 pounds.  be happy!

broadway

alan...did you mean a very strained 20? Thanks
Dom

alantani

oops, yes, i fixed that, thanks!  alan

broadway