Ling Cod Killer-Shallow water

Started by Big Tim, May 17, 2014, 12:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I fish the central coast of California and we are not allowed to fish over 240ft. deep. That means lighter lines and jigs.I'm on a 7' Seeker 30# W/Avet JX 6.0 or my 112H...My proven killer for rock fish and halibut is this:

4oz  jig head in red w/eyes...6" motoroil grub/scampi tail with an assist hook

Results have been steady to stellar:

Ron Jones

Used that for years growing up in So Cal for the same work only my favorite color is white.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on May 17, 2014, 01:55:14 AM
Used that for years growing up in So Cal for the same work only my favorite color is white.
Ron
Ron: I'm so geeked about our trip I was just so glad to go fishin'...We use White, Glow, ect... A thin long squid strip is a must.

steelfish

Quote from: Big Tim on May 17, 2014, 12:16:57 AM
I fish the central coast of California and we are not allowed to fish over 240ft. deep. That means lighter lines and jigs.I'm on a 7' Seeker 30# W/Avet JX 6.0 or my 112H...My proven killer for rock fish and halibut is this:

4oz  jig head in red w/eyes...6" motoroil grub/scampi tail with an assist hook

nice set up... I will try it.

PD: I dont thrust on those snap clips
The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Where did you purchase the twin tail grubs?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Steve-O on July 16, 2015, 01:21:07 PM

just search for "Scampi lure" or ask for it on any tackle store

The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Quote from: steelfish on July 16, 2015, 04:06:41 PM
Quote from: Steve-O on July 16, 2015, 01:21:07 PM

just search for "Scampi lure" or ask for it on any tackle store

Yea...the issue is finding 6" size . Most everywhere has smaller....no big ones. ???

Keta

Lots if you search 6" scampi lure.  I picked up 100 at Englund Marine in Coos Bay for $24.00 last week.

http://www.unclejosh.com/P/SCAMPILURE/1248

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391198672702?lpid=82&chn=ps
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

The scampis in the photo are from Fisherman's Warehouse as the packaging looks like their house brand.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

I use something similar for flounder here in FL. I like them in white.

Steve-O

Found some on ebay out of Wisconsin. Decent quality, great price. Only bought 15 as the Ling Cod regs for Non-Residents in SE AK are pretty simple = 2 Fish.

• Nonresidents— 1 daily, 1 in possession, 30-45 inches or 55 inches and longer, annual limit of 2 fish, one of which is 30-45 inches in length, and one that is 55
inches or greater in length, harvest record required (see page 6).

I will get 3-4 shots at most for harvesting a Ling or two. All weather dependent- two boat trips lined up and a week with the lodge kayak (only on calm seas). By September the SE AK weather gets sketchy. Big blow one day, glass the next with rain everyday. Getting a Junior Ling shouldn't be too hard...harvesting a big boy over 55 inches may take a bit more effort with lots of releases. The root beer Scampi should do well on nearly anything up there though. All the fish are eager biters.

We'll see in a month and a half. ;D