Omoto 12 Triple Series

Started by Alto Mare, May 28, 2014, 01:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I felt no need to open the reel. It works flawlessly and the drag stays just as smooth.

I did just come across an old Penn 113-H reel. One of the original's. The cross bars are thinner and the chrome side rings don't have dimples on the back side of the rings. They are flat.  It has a marlin or sailfish on the left side plate.

It says Penn Special 4/0. Also 113-H instead of 113H.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I can't wait to see those pics Keith! Go Omoto! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on July 04, 2014, 12:56:40 AM
I felt no need to open the reel. It works flawlessly and the drag stays just as smooth.

I did just come across an old Penn 113-H reel. One of the original's. The cross bars are thinner and the chrome side rings don't have dimples on the back side of the rings. They are flat.  It has a marlin or sailfish on the left side plate.

It says Penn Special 4/0. Also 113-H instead of 113H.
After a 10' shark it would be good to check if everything looks good. If you feel there is no need, that's good.
Is that 113-H black? show a pic if you don't mind.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Sal its a 113-H that is the red/maroon color. It's old and will post pics.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wallacewt

i bought a triple,from jrock in oz.(ebay)
$293.30 including shipping
gave it a full service and got caught out.
under the ss drag washer there are 4 minature springs.
i lost one,made one, and put it back together
lost freespool,lever into freespool,switched the cam around,
still no good,ill fix it today,
maybe the spring i made.
tried a new drag grease,inox mx8 in  spray can ???
i like the the reel.  oil,wrench,2reel covers,schematics
lifted 22lb tin of paint on my 24kg ugly stik,no worries ::)
1/2 way down in sal,s tutorial in his photo you can see
the minature springs.
cheers

Tightlines667

I've heard good things about this grease and have seen good corrosion inhibition, long service life, low shearing, and good tackiness.  It is also rated to perform well under higher temps and pressure.  However it is pretty viscous stuff, and I would also be hesitant to use it on Carbon fiber drag washers since it is a lithium-based PTFE not a Teflon-based grease.  I have seen degraded CF washer material where this grease had traveled to the washers (out of bearings).  It also seems to make bearings particularily sluggish due to its high viscosity.  It is great for all other internal metal parts though, and really adheres to the gears well.  I bit troublesome to clean off of reel parts when servicing though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Black Pearl

Quote from: wallacewt on July 12, 2014, 12:21:44 AM
i bought a triple,from jrock in oz.(ebay)
$293.30 including shipping
gave it a full service and got caught out.
under the ss drag washer there are 4 minature springs.
i lost one,made one, and put it back together
lost freespool,lever into freespool,switched the cam around,
still no good,ill fix it today,
maybe the spring i made.
tried a new drag grease,inox mx8 in  spray can ???
i like the the reel.  oil,wrench,2reel covers,schematics
lifted 22lb tin of paint on my 24kg ugly stik,no worries ::)
1/2 way down in sal,s tutorial in his photo you can see
the minature springs.
cheers

You can send omoto or Jrock to request that springs. I am sure he will send it to you for free.

wallacewt

thks guys
this reel had plenty of grease
when i opened it,missed a few spots.
yeah those springs under the washer,
never seen them before
still learning.
cheers

Alto Mare

Wallace, I'm glad you're giving it a try, from what I've seen, you're going to like that reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

well I fixed the reel
lost another small spring ::)but
the spring out of a bic lighter is the correct size
so made 2,removed the shields off the shaft bearings,
dipped in tsi301,extra grease in a few hidden spots
its hummin,
here is a nice surprise,120gm sinker,gentle
under arm side cast on the grass,50m.
I could have thrown it a lot further
live bait!

have to get some cals for the drag
and a proper reel clamp that takes a lanyard
like the makaira.
cheers

maxpowers

i just got my 12N and it is great.  very smooth and lots of cranking power.  i like the handle grip alot.  very comfortable.  i did the pre fishing service on the reel and wonder if sal or wallace would chime in.  the large left side spool bearing is i suppose the one that take the brunt of the drag force.  I wonder if we should look into an angular contact bearing or is the large bearing adequate for the amount of drag the reel produced.  i also had to repack the pinion and drive bearings as all of them were inadequately greased.  the freespool is quite good at anout 65 seconds.

wallacewt

im fishing out wide on Saturday
couple of reels to test including the triple
ill let you know max
the bearings I rely on others here
cheers

Alto Mare

Have a great day on the water pal and be safe. Looking forward to your report ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: maxpowers on July 31, 2014, 04:21:50 AM
i just got my 12N and it is great.  very smooth and lots of cranking power.  i like the handle grip alot.  very comfortable.  i did the pre fishing service on the reel and wonder if sal or wallace would chime in.  the large left side spool bearing is i suppose the one that take the brunt of the drag force.  I wonder if we should look into an angular contact bearing or is the large bearing adequate for the amount of drag the reel produced.  i also had to repack the pinion and drive bearings as all of them were inadequately greased.  the freespool is quite good at anout 65 seconds.
Max, I have not fished the triple series yet, but I do believe that the larger bearing will hold up just fine, I'm glad you got yourself one.
From me playing with that reel, all I'm going to tell you is to fish it and fish it hard ...you'll be the judge of it when you're done ;).
Sal

wallacewt

saturday is off
sunday is on,better weather,so far ::)