Abu 5600C4 HSC - wiffle spool conversion

Started by BigT, July 22, 2010, 10:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I love Abu reels. Here's another little project of mine that just reminded me why I do.

I have a new 5600 C4 HSC. Sweet little reel. I wanted a spare spool and after a bit of a look around I realised that there's a wiffle-spool version of the 5600. A quick call to Pure Fishing's service department in Sydney confirmed that it would be a straightforward swap.

This sort of modification is only possible because:

;D Abu engineers have maintained an approach that sees many parts being interchangeable between models. They restrict unnecessary differences (like having only a couple of different bearing sizes for most of their range... unlike some other companies that seem to delight in making me buy a multitude of bearing combinations for different models)

and

:D dealing with the Pure Fishing service department in Australia is a delight... I've sourced lots of parts, advice and information from them and it all arrives fast and with no hassle at all. Every e-mail I've ever sent them has been answered fast. (Other reel companies who used to get a lot more of my tackle dollars could take a lesson here)

So here it is, the 5600C4 HSC...

And courtesy of the PF service department's quick shipping of my order...

The conversion couldn't be simpler. Back out the side place screws and remove the right side plate assembly.

Slide the spool shaft (ref# 802630) out of the spool.

You might be surprised that without line... the wiffle spool assembly (ref# 1105113) is actually 2g (roughly 1/12oz for all you Americans ;) ) heavier than the standard spool assembly (ref# 1119135). That's because even with the weight reducing drilled spool, there is more metal in the wiffle spool to create the 'shallow' spool profile. Things will change when they're filled with line...

Now, both spools share the same dimensions, the same bearings (a pair of 4 x 10 x 4mm), and the same profiling for the mechanical casting brake assembly

BUT

The mechanical brake assemblies themselves are different. The C4 HSC has a 6-pin brake assembly while the wiffle spool comes with a 2-pin brake assembly

The 2-pin brake won't fit the pinion gear in the C4 HSC but thanks to the cleverly logical Swedish people at Abu, it's an easy fix. Just swap the brake assemblies over. The 6-pin pops off easily using a small screwdriver (put a cloth on the spool rim to protect it)

The 2-pin is secured by a c-clip that is easily removed (but careful it doesn't spring off into your carpet, never to be seen again!)

The 6-pin brake then pops straight into the wiffle-spool

Done.

So "why do all that" I hear you ask. With full loads of spectra, the wiffle spool is about 5g (roughly 1/6 oz) lighter than the standard spool... doesn't sound like much until you realize that it represents close to a 15% weight reduction. That means less spool inertia so it will handle lighter lures and will cast further. So now, once the spare 6-pin brake assembly that I just ordered arrives in the next day or 2, I effectively have 2 different reels in one.

LOVE it  :-*

BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Norcal Pescador

G'day Tony -

I still don't know why reel makers insist on making small parts out of materials that are carpet-soluble.

I like your mini-tutorial on the wiffle spool. I have a 4600 C4 and was wondering if you've done anything else to hot rod your 5600? Unfortunately(?) I use my 4600 for bass fishing with fluorocarbon, so I'm pondering the possible advantage of the wiffle spool in my reel.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BigT

G'day Rob,

I've got some ceramic hybrid bearings coming for the wiffle spool.  I'm going to polish the spool shaft and inside of the pinion gear. THe reel, like most new Abus, already had a carbon drag so all it needed was some Cal's grease....

Basically the wiffle spool, loaded with 10 or 15lb braid will be for tossing small, light spinnerbaits, crankbaits and topwater lures for our local Bass and some other freshwater species. The standard spool, loaded with 30, will be for chasing big barramundi, using bigger lures and baits.

It wouldn't matter what sort of line you're running. If there's a shallow wiffle spool to suit your reel (I'm not sure) to replace a deep standard spool, then it's quite likely you'd find the same differences in performance.

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Norcal Pescador

Thanks, T.

I'll toss just about everything other than plastics at the local bass with my baitcasters. My spinners draw "plastics" duty. I'll check into the wiffle spool and meanwhile crack open the sideplates to see if the right lubes are in the right places.

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD