Did I do it wrong? Torium 30

Started by Johnny, July 25, 2010, 03:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

So I cracked open my Torium 30 for a cleaning. I also decided to upgrade the drag washers with carbontex washers in the process. It was a simple enough procedure, but I have noticed that there is a very light rubbing on the drag washers in free spool. Did I do something wrong when reassembling this reel? I opened it again just to double check and from what I can tell everything is in order. Now obviously this slight rubbing affects free spool, which for the type of fishing I do isn't important. I just do not want to damage my reel if I screwed something up. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Wolli

seems the carbontex washers are a little more thicker than the original washers. have the same with a Daiwa 400H reel.
But this will not effect any damage to your reel.

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Ellis Feibush

Likewise Johnny, Just installed some #54 carbontex washers in a Torium 14. The drag is a little tight. Fewer turns of the star but the drag is much inproved. However, I don't get any friction or resistance of any kind in free spool.The main bearing is a bit thin and designed to accomodate those thin hard, rubber washers, not the thicker Carbontex ones, but the smoooth drag washers work well, indeed.

CapeFish

free spool on a star drag reel has nothing to do with the drag washers. You engage freespool by flicking the clutch lever back. What you are saying is that when you are loosening the star completely the drag is still a bit tight, that is normal

slip tip

Johnny, could the rubbing be the spool shaft contacting the inside of the pinion gear? If so, the inside of the pinion gear can be gently buffed out.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

alantani

yeah, john, somethings rubbing.  did you find it yet?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Johnny

Thanks all for the ideas. I have broken this reel down again and put it back together. Everything looks in order to me, and if I spin the spool it will turn for about 5 seconds. I do not know what it was prior but from now on I will note this before cracking open another reel. There is no binding, or bad rubbing. It just seems that there is a slight amount of friction in free spool. If i have the lever in free spool and crank the handle it will turn the spool. Now if I just place my thumb on the spool it stops with out applying any pressure other than the weight of my thumb. Almost no pressure at all honestly. This might be completely normal and the reel could be operating correctly??? Please forgive my ignorance, I should have paid closer attention prior to changing the drag washers.

Johnny

Jimmer

Is it posibble you have too much or too heavy of a grease between the spool shaft and pinion gear? A little dab will do.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

it is sometimes the case that i will get a reel back together and there will be something wrong.  i can tear it down and put it back together again, sometimes several times, and finally it will work properly.  drives me nuts!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Johnny

Quote from: slip tip on July 28, 2010, 06:50:37 AM
Johnny, could the rubbing be the spool shaft contacting the inside of the pinion gear? If so, the inside of the pinion gear can be gently buffed out.

Regards,
David

Quote from: Jimmer on July 31, 2010, 02:31:55 PM
Is it posibble you have too much or too heavy of a grease between the spool shaft and pinion gear? A little dab will do.

Well that was the problem! Excess grease between the spool shaft and pinion gear causing friction that wasn't there prior to my opening the reel. I wiped away the grease and lubricated with reel-x instead. Is that okay? Thanks all for the help I really do appreciate it.