Engines for boats

Started by slip tip, July 27, 2010, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slip tip

Not sure if this will fly or not, but just thought I'd ask since it is fishing related and a lot of you own and operate this type of machinery. However, if this thread gets moved or deleted it won't hurt my feelings.
Years ago, I had a 26' Farallon , full electronics, with the Volvo I/O diesel and Duoprop. It was one great fishing machine and I, to this very day, miss it terribly... :'(....a divorce does some very bad things to you.... >:(
For the past several years, especially since most outboards are four strokes they seem to have taken over a large share of the power plants smaller boats are using. I was just wondering, why? Is it because of the lighter weight of the outboard? Are the outboards less expensive? I can see the advantage of having twin outboards, but still, I always felt the diesel was the better way to go. I guess it's more of personal issue, but I've never cared for the extra "length" at the end of the transom due to an outboard engine.
Feel free to jump in and educate me because I feel that I've missed something.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

dylan

Sliptip,

I don't own a boat but participate in maintaining one and have read about this and discussed it with some fishermen. 

The reasons people usually give for preferring the OBs are:  more space, easier to maintain, lighter weight, & designed for water usage.
These reasons plus the common inboard or I/O problems like rusted/busted starters, rusted heat exchangers/manifolds, sealing, and so forth have pushed people more to OBs...IMHO.  The new generations of more reliable & more efficient 4-strokes enabled the transition you mentioned! 

At some point, people seem to "switch" to preferring diesels. . .where the efficiency & torque of the diesel becomes key.  This depends on the size of boat and type of hull.  I have fished very little on diesel boats.  How did you do with the diesel odor?  It induces puking in some. 
Many of the various fishing boards have probably beaten this topic to death.  Boat boards too like the hulltruth or similar.   
dylan

Russ57

I'd take a diesel any day of the week.  I think it depends on the type of waters you fish and how you feel about mantenance.

I wouldn't have a diesel for a flats boat.  I wouldn't have an outboard on something I expected the motors to run non-stop for 24 hours.  I wouldn't have a diesel if I had deep pockets, weren't going to get my hands dirty, and had a throw-away mentality.

In my area some are going to outboards for the power/weight ratio thing.  The boats look more like offshore race boats than a fishing machine.  Not my cup of tea but in some cases time equals money and they are fast.

slip tip

Thanks guys for the replies. I actually tried to delete this post but the program wouldn't do it. After all, this forum is about fishing reels, not boat engines.
Unfortunately, curiosity got the best of me and I know that several people here on the forum do run outboards in salt water. I have nothing against outboards, just curious as to the popularity of them.
Gee, I really wished I didn't post this here. This probably has been hammered to death on some other forum.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

suitekids

I run a Yamaha 90hp four stroke on my little boat offshore all the time, purrs like a kitten and has awesome fuel range, I love it, and my first mate is usually the captain while I'm rigging and setting up.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on July 28, 2010, 05:10:15 AM
Not a problem........

Yeah, not a problem. We are talking fishing boats after all, not buoy tenders or tugs. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

coastalobsession

Outboards are easier to work on. The new Yamaha sho has revolutionized the 2 stoke world.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

heckrazr

I just LOVE the Volvo/Penta motor and I/O drive of our 20' Glastron lake boat that I have devirginized into the salt environment. Have launched her out of Cabrillo in San Pedro to hit Catalina and out of Channel Islands Harbor for Anacapa first trip then Santa Cruz the 2nd.  Gonna try for Santa Rosa next WSB season.  I troll her too...
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon

Shark Hunter

I've always been an outboard Man. Since I was a kid, My grandpa and me would go out in a Jon Boat with a 5 horse Johnson on the Back. I bought this boat new in 1988 and she served me well with 25 years of faithful Service! 18' Fish & Ski with a XP150. She would do 68 mph. I miss Her. :'(

Life is Good!

BMITCH

Daron, those 12/0's you got would look awsome trolling out behind that rig. Maybe for some bluegills? ;D ;D ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Nope,
This is my Boat now. I use it to get the bait out to Where the sharks are. ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Oh yeah! They must look much better on the back of the yak :oLol.
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Uh, No.
Just the bait goes out. The rod stays in the holder on Shore.
Life is Good!

fisher480

Outboards all the way. We have used them for years and even back when my father was a pro fisherman. All of our work is saltwater and they have been excellent. If I looked at all my relatives they run Yamahas, one Suzuki 4 stroke and one Etec. In Australia I would have to say Yamaha is the most popular.

I have seen a lot of sterndrive problems over the years. A lot of setups look like they are made for freshwater and just don't last. It would have to be a very large boat to go away from an outboard.