Penn 80VSW gear slipping

Started by Machalek, July 30, 2010, 06:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machalek

FYI, my low gear was slipping, opened it up and eveything look good no damage.  After serveal hours I guessed and replaced part number 170 & 133 on the shifting knob, yea it now works well. 

When I first serviced my reel, the parts about seemed not durable so I decide to order spare parts.

The reel is fairly new used two seasons.  Hope this info is helpful for some.  JD

Machalek

Sorry guys, it still does not work?   :'(

alantani

i found this.  https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204433145-International-VS-or-GLD-Reel-Not-Shifting-

If you are having difficulty getting any of these reels to shift:

16VS, 16VSX 30VSX, 30VSW
50VSX, 50VSW2, 80VSW, GLD50ii
Check part #23-30VS Handle Screw. If the tines on the screw are bent/broken the reel will not shift correctly.
We have discovered how this is happening. When using the 168-30VS wrench, you have to HOLD the wrench still and TURN the RING counterclockwise, NOT the WRENCH. If you turn the wrench, you bend or break the tines on the handle screw as shown in the photo.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

when you say slipping, do you mean that the gear teeth are slipping against each other or do you mean that the low speed gears are not popping into place properly. alan

Machalek

Yes Alan, the low gear pops in but on a load it pops back out.  When I press the shift black button in about 1/8" it locks in place/works.  So far I think it needs 1/8"  +/- more to stay lock?  Penn Reel Repair site has a smililar help on how to remove this section knob but does not show what happens if done wrong like yours.  When I get off to night I will take it apart again to see if tines are alirght.  Thanks so much for your help!  JD

Machalek

Just wany to update the fix on this.  Part of the gear (not d teeth, flat surface) was rounded.  The repair shop separated both high & low gears, & replaced the low gear side.

;-).  JD

jdeloso

Thank you Again Alan
The 23-30VS Screw was the fix for switching from high gear to low gear!
Jon

alantani