rod line weights

Started by txangler81, June 23, 2014, 07:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

ok are downrigger/trolling rods any good for casting the ones im looking at have 8 to 10 eyes and come in 7.5 8.5 and 10 foot

Ron Jones

In your price range they will be as good as anything else.Just depends on what action you prefer.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

txangler81

well im thinking about using the 8.5 with my penn 209s for cat fish and with like a squidder or surfmaster 200 for bay fishing from the bank

kmstorm64

Quote from: txangler81 on June 24, 2014, 02:28:32 PM
I will be fishing for red fish speckled trout and whatever else comes along on sand in Galveston, TX

IMHO, the Jigmaster is overkill for what you after, AT has done several posts on the Jigmaster and talks about the the size line to the reel, he always states use 30# mono. That would seem to be large line for a speckled trout.  The reason he says that, is the spool to side plate tolerance on a Jigmaster is loose and tends to eat smaller line. Better to go with a Surfmaster or a Squidder IMHO for the species you are after.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

txangler81

yeah but those bull reds get pretty big lol. It may be overkill but it will still be fun to fish with

Ron Jones

They make narrow Squidders (146), Surfmasters (100), the Baymaster (180) that is a narrow Beachmaster and a monofil (27) that would work just fine for what you want. Perfect little 20 pound test reels.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

txangler81

ok I already have a 309, 4 209, a 109, a 9, a 250, a 500, a 140, a 26, and a 112h, I just purchased another 9 309 and 250 along with a 99 a 68 and a 200 im trying to figure out what to do for rods for all of them the peer peerless and monofil reels will all be used for fresh water catfish with the bigger ones and white/sand bass with the smaller stuff. my surfmasters I was planning to use for bay fishing and the the squidder jigmaster and senator for surf when I go down to Galveston to my inlaws not sure what to use the 99 for just yet. all of this is bank fishing. I'm trying to figure out what rods to use for what and im on a very limited budget. I understand some of these may be over kill but ive turned into a collector I eventually want to add a  113h and a 114h to the surf arsenal. Im looking at eagle claws line of rods they seem pretty decent and are cheap I have purchased a 8'6' eagle claw starfire trolling / downrigger rod that I put one of my 209s on for catfish but I haven't had a chance to cast it yet. and see how it does. they make a 7'6"version that is lighter that I want to put my 109 9 and 26 on. They also have a 10' trolling/dipsy diver rod in the same model that I was thinking about for my 309. then they have the water eagle series of medium heavy surf rods up to 25 pounds and in 8 9 and 10' lengths I was thinking 9' for the 140 and 10' for the 500 then I was thinking using the 8'6" and 10' trolling rods on my surfmasters for bay fishing the 10' goes up to 30 lbs on the trolling rod. my senator I really want one of the 10' ugly stick surf casting rods what do yall think thanks

ez2cdave

Quote from: noyb72 on July 03, 2014, 05:08:42 AM
They make narrow Squidders (146), Surfmasters (100), the Baymaster (180) that is a narrow Beachmaster and a monofil (27) that would work just fine for what you want. Perfect little 20 pound test reels.
Ron

That would be they "made" those reels, as they have been "OOP" for quite a while . . .

Another reel to look at (on eBay ) is the Daiwa Sealine 30H & 50H . . . One-piece aluminum frame, easy to work on, and TOUGH !!!

DAIWA SEALINE 30H

DAIWA SEALINE 50H

txangler81

im looking for rod suggestions not reel suggestions thanks though

Ron Jones

Are you looking to use some of them as wall hangers or fish all of them? I'm going to try to not sound like a but head, and that is kind of hard for a Navy Chief, but if your budget is as limited as you say it is then I recommend you decide if you want to fish or collect. If fish, then truly identify what your actual species will be (it sounds like you are on your way with that) and then decide if you can thin the herd to bring in some coin to buy a rod. I love the 112H, it is truly my first love in reels, but I just don't see you using it with what you are fishing for. You could sell the 112H, the 68 and one of the 309s, add in the money you already have and buy a second hand Seeker / Sabre/ Calstar 20-30# jigstick that will work well for everything you are looking for. Use the little reels however you want and load up the 500 with 30# for anything bigger. When you do go down to the surf then maybe look into a surf rod. That jigstick will outcast the 12' Ugly stick any day of the week and twice on Sundays, but Penn and Okuma have some intro rods that are nice and that you could get into if you are patient and watch the sales.

Starting out with a limited budget is expected, but their is a right way to do it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

txangler81

well I went a little crazy getting reels at this point in time I am not getting anymore I am thinking about selling the 68 and maybe 2 of the 209s at this point in time I do not need 4 of them lol I have had to do a major reality check when it comes to my reels I was wanting multiples of each of the main ones squidders jigmasters surfmasters monofils senators and the peer series at one time I wanted nothing but senators my 112h like you is probably my favorite reel I currently have. as far as rods I am looking in the under 30 dollar range that's why im drawn to the eagle claw rods that and the yellow rods blanks lol but I do worry about how long they will last though. but the price almost makes it worth the chance they do have decent reviews

Ron Jones

Like I've said, I have fished the Eagle Claws and would fish them over others in the price range, but selling reels to get into a high performance rod will truly blow your mind.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Your rod is the interface between your hand and the fish/lure/bait.  I spend a lot of $ to make sure it is the right \tool for the job.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

txangler81

all of this is giving me a headache lol my primary fishing is freshwater which I am going to use the peer series and the surfmasters for. the only ones that I need to be able to make extra long cast with is my 140 99 500 and 112h. I will also use the surfmasters for bay fishing from the shore so a longer cast might be required most likely not as long as the surf reels. my primary saltwater species will be flounder redfish and speckled trout. fresh water species I will target are channel, flathead, and blue catfish, stripers, and white/sand bass. the 209s and 309s will be used for the catfish with the 309s set up for the larger species. the surfmasters will be used for stripers and occasionally catfish. the 9,109,and 26 will be for the white/sand bass. I live 2 hours from Lake Texhoma, which has a breeding population of stripers. I will bank fish behind the spillway there and also some occasional trolling. white / sand bass will be bank fishing and occasional trolling. catfish will be mostly bank fishing and occasionally out of a boat.

txangler81

ok I looked at the sabre rods on ebay and wow those are cool I will have to save up and get me a few of those