Phenix for AnglingArchitect

Started by Jon Vadney, June 24, 2014, 11:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Here's one I just finished up for forum member AnglingArchitect.  It's a Phenix PHD 809XH.  It's sporting EVA grips with a split rear grip, Aftco aluminum reel seat, Fuji SiNII BH series guides and is acid wrapped.  He's pairing this with a gold Okuma Mak and I think it will be a very attractive setup!

Shark Hunter

Wow! :o That's a Beauty! I especially like those tiger stripes! Mark is a lucky guy! ;D
Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

I feel like a lucky guy, it's freaking beautiful. I don't even want to fish with it, I may just hang it on the wall.

Love the way the split grip came out, and the tiger stripes, just awesome.
I used to blow glass, and we used a feathering technique with metallic colors that this acid stuff reminds
me of. It looks pretty detailed under the guides.

I can't wait to get it in my hands. ;D

Shark Hunter

It would look awfully nice with that Aluminum framed, Keta Kranked 9/0 on it! ;)
Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

I got a little Makira for it, the same color as the aftco, and the gold thread.

The 9/0 on a big thick glass rod, it's my Shark/Jewfish rig.

I got to take a picture, I have nice reels, like a pair 50 and an 80 two speed international, and a pair of 113H's narrow, variance, rebuilt by the master himself, a pair of Tiberon, Black Senators, another pair of 113H's J variance's rebuilt by me, an pair of newer Accurate's, a vintage 50 International, a vintage Finnor 30, a Vanstal 150, etc, etc.

Some of these reel I bought new as a teenager, I'm 63 now.

I don't have to many expensive rods though, and this will be my first custom one, but I don't think I will be content with just one. :-[

wallacewt

Jon Vadney

Quote from: wallacewt on June 25, 2014, 09:19:17 AM
sir,you are an artist
Thanks man :)  I try.  It's funny in the rod building world how people get really into one aspect of the artistry.  There are guys who can do INSANE crosswraps.... stuff that makes my crosswraps look like child's play (Ralph "rodwinder", Billy Vivona, Steve T, and others).  Other guys focus strictly on weaving (Peter and Owen from australia, Doc Ski in socal, Larry out of morro bay).  I really spend a lot of time on my color combinations.  I think it's an overlooked part of custom rod building.  I try very hard to have everything compliment each other, instead of clashing with one another. 

bluefish69

Jon

I see you know Ralph's [Rodwinder] work. I have 2 of his rods so far. Someday I will get another one. He does the best Weaves on the Butt Wraps. I have 1 of Billy V. rods. It has his custom Grips [Crossed Pipe Wrenches] the Butt Wrap took him 3 try's to get it right, he made it with Red Pipe Wenches. It has Titanium Guides with Black & Red Wraps on a GUSA Mega Mag.

Mike

Ps: Don't forget Sean in Conn.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 25, 2014, 11:17:05 PM
Jon

I see you know Ralph's [Rodwinder] work. I have 2 of his rods so far. Someday I will get another one. He does the best Weaves on the Butt Wraps. I have 1 of Billy V. rods. It has his custom Grips [Crossed Pipe Wrenches] the Butt Wrap took him 3 try's to get it right, he made it with Red Pipe Wenches. It has Titanium Guides with Black & Red Wraps on a GUSA Mega Mag.

Mike

Ps: Don't forget Sean in Conn.

Yeah there are a lot of dudes out there who are awesome at the thread work.  Ralph is a beast at crosswraps and does some really good weaves.  Some of the best weaves I've seen have been coming from Peter out of AU and Steve McLeod out Jersey island (an island south of the UK).