How Smoothe is Real Smoothe

Started by funhog, June 25, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 26, 2014, 05:41:31 AM
For the type of fishing I do, I mainly fish Big Senators. I noticed on a 12/0 Senator, after catching a small 7 foot Black tip last year that fought pretty good, He actually pulled my locked down drag a couple times. The drag washer under the main gear did its job, but it was toast. The teeth from the ratchet had dug into the washer enough that it needed replacement. It also deformed it, so that it wasn't perfectly round any more. I contacted Mc-Master Carr only moments ago and they already replied they would supply me a sample of the Delrin for testing.
Awesome! ;)
Bry,
This is the reason I am switching to Delrin.
Life is Good!

Dawn

Yes, I'm pretty sure same material.  Definitely Delrin.

Dawn

Bryan Young

I wonder if a delrin  and carbontex combination would be best...delrin where the rachet is and carbontex between the delrin and main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I believe you're missing the point my friend, we're trying to do away with friction under the gear, well I am anyway. I have other jigmasters with roller bearing, but it's just too much work to install, the Delrin is very easy to do.
Your best bet is to have a reel with a carbon fiber washer for under the gear and one with a Delrin washer. Give them a shot comparing the two and let me know what you think.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I need a scientific way for some type of comparision... I need to think about this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Don't make it too complicated,...its not. Remove the carbon washer under the gear and replace it with a Delrin washer and see for yourself if the reel feels smoother. That's all there is to it, nothing more.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.