Main Menu

New User

Started by Josh Smith, July 03, 2014, 12:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Smith

Hi Folks,

I'm Josh Smith from Smith-Sights.  When I'm able to get away from doing what I do, I prefer to fish or work on my equipment.

My first reel was a little black Zebco in the late '70s.  I hardly remember this reel and I do NOT remember my first fishing trip.  Dad would sit me down on a rock in Little Flat Rock.  While he fished for smallmouth, I fished for chubs. 

My second reel was a Zebco 33.

I eventually grew into Dad's old (made in '75) Ambassadeur 5000, and that's mostly why I'm here.

A screw broke off in the frame, and I ordered a new frame and a new (old) 5000, while I was at it.

Dad told me "By the way, I put fast gears in that 5000, 5:1 or so."

So I swapped gears into the older 5000 while rebuilding Dad's.

Now I'm looking at the different things that can be done to these old reels, and I even acquired a 3000 which arrived today.

I'm looking at parts, but don't want to order until I know for sure what interchanges.  I also have plans to add bearings to one of the 5000s, though I really like how they cast using boundary layer fluid (you know, like crank bearings in motor oil.)

I know bearings won't fit directly into the 5000 from the 5500c, but having a few machines will let me fit the spool up.

I do this to relax and prefer lower-speed gears as I always tend to crank the newer reels too fast for the type of fishing I do.

It's good to be here, and I thank you for having me.

Regards,

Josh

Shark Hunter

Welcome Josh!
You need to post this in the Ambassadeur section so someone with more knowledge than me can help you out with these.
Life is Good!

harryk3616

hi    josh,   welcome,  out of my league, sorry i can't help you with this type of reel.  some one along the line will jump in to help you.     harryk

Keta

Hi.

You should post a link to your sight site.... ;D

I'll do it for you....BTW nice stuff.

http://www.smith-sights.com/
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"...

foakes

Welcome, Josh --

You have a well presented and clear website -- very well done!

You may consider signing up also for the firearms forum on this site -- your knowledge would be an asset to the group when it comes to certain aspects of gun smithing.

I had to laugh at your disclaimer about shipping parts to Canada -- although I fully agree with you.

The thing about shipping into or out of Canada is that it does take around 2 - 4 weeks, if there are no complications.  And it is expensive and a hassle for both parties.

The sad irony is that truckloads of goods can come into the US from Mexico -- with little oversight and no hassle.

And a small part for a fishing reel coming or going from Canada involves every alphabet agency there is -- along with ridiculously slow Customs -- plus the expense.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your Ambassadeur when it's done.

Best Regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

welcome!  go ahead and put a link to your business http://www.smith-sights.com/ in the member's business section at http://alantani.com/index.php?board=43.0  it's not really fishing related, but i saw the cute photo of belle with the plastic grub, so that makes it close enough to fishing as far as i'm concerned.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mr.Grinta

Welcome Josh!
leonard
For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

MFB

G'day Josh,

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dominick

Welcome Josh Smith.  Is that a real or stage name?   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Josh Smith

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Quote from: foakes on July 04, 2014, 02:24:48 AM
You may consider signing up also for the firearms forum on this site -- your knowledge would be an asset to the group when it comes to certain aspects of gun smithing.

I found the thread on the gun board area (I assume it's hidden?) and asked to sign up.  I have lived and breathed guns for quite a while, and though I started fishing before I was old enough to remember, I didn't really get into reels until recently.

My gunsmithing experience, on the other hand, is much more extensive.  Fixing reels is one thing, but modding them like I do guns... well, no real experience there, yet.  I have parts coming in next week that I hope will serve to change that.

I'd like to start repairing older reels to give away to help get folks into fishing.  In fact, I have an Abu Garcia 3000 sitting here for that purpose.  Its guts are solid but the plastic side plates look like hell.  Too much sun, methinks.

Happy Fourth!

Regards,

Josh 

foakes

Hi Josh --

I just completed a full cleaning, and service on a 4000 for a client -- along with 5 other reels.

This is a reel from the 1970-1973 era.

Same thing with this one -- the red plastic side plates had turned pink (inside was still original red). I thought I might bring it back with a little "Black Magic" that I use for plastic and rubber restoration.  Wiped some on and it turned back to original red -- then after 20 minutes it faded right back to pink.  Wasn't daring enough to try anything else, since those 40 year old side plates seem a little brittle -- and since it was mechanically new now -- that was enough.

Abu must have had a lot of complaints -- since they discontinued these side plates after a few years.

I suppose they could be painted -- but it is more work than can be justified -- and it is possible unless being very careful to use the right kind of paint -- that the integrity of the material may be diminished even further.

It is just a backup rig for Kokanee trolling anyway -- it will work just fine as is.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Hey Fred is that photo Lake Tahoe?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Hi Dom --

That's Bridgeport Resevoir in Bridgeport, CA, Mono County -- Eastern side of the Sierras

Been going there for 40 years.

We live up in the Sierras, on the Western side close to a place called Shaver Lake -- at 4400'.

We just drive across through Tioga Pass, across the top of Yosemite, pass is 9945'.

I learned how to fish the lake from an old friend who fished it since late 1940s.  The only reel Elmo ever used was an old Centaure -- he would fish it 120 days a year -- and every year it would need an overhaul requiring me to go scrounge parts off of a few Centaures I kept in stock just for him.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.