Toro 60 drag guestion

Started by abudoc, July 03, 2014, 12:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abudoc

I've got a Revo Toro 60 Winch here I'm having a bit of a drag problem with. Abu advertises 22 lbs of drag for this reel but I can't get more than 12 lbs with it. At that point the drag star is tightened down as far as you would dare to. 10 lbs of drag is really about it.

All 4 drag springs have been replaced 1144209 and 1117208.
I thought maybe I had to much Cal's on them so it was taken apart and wiped off, no change. So I tore it down again and cleaned the grease off the carbon drag washers and drag plates, still no change in drag.

The IAR sleeve and drag star and Click Spring Holder have all been was measured with calipers and a micrometer. All check out when compared to another reel. I wouldn't think the carbon washers are bad and I don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

I'm sure the reel has been put together correctly so my question is has Abu grossly overstated the drag capability of this reel. I remember reading on this site the 22 lb rating was debunked but I can't find anything about what the Toro's are really capable of.

So my question is does anyone here remember or know what the Toro 60's drag is in reality?

Zimbass

Have a look at this tutorial http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3166.0

There is mention of a fix for the poor drag.

Good luck.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

yes, the drag range was grossly overstated.  and they knew.  and they never retracted it.  oh, and they never apolgized, either.  and did i mention the problems with the kick lever?  we don't give out "turkey" awards, but this one would likely be deserving......   >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, fish this reel with 2-5 pounds of drag, like all the other low profile bait casters and you'll be fine!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

abudoc

I noticed the bent ears on the drag washers, they were still holding.  I'll fix that issue so they won't bend again and see what happens.

The gent that has this reel got it on flea bay to use for cats. 40lb braid and 30 lb leader, 7.5 to 10 lbs of drag is what he will be using. He thought it would be an upgrade to the 6500's, right now it is a down grade for him.
2 to 5 lbs won't cut it for him, that's why he sent it to me. If I cant find a solution for him he will most likely put it back on flea bay.

Abu needs to apologize for this one.  >:(

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: abudoc on July 03, 2014, 04:29:06 PM
I noticed the bent ears on the drag washers...

did you notice this before or after getting 10 lbs of drag? also If my memory serves me correctly there's a thread here and somebody posted that the max that you can get out of the old toros is 16 lbs. I have the toro 50 and 8-10 lbs is enough for what I use it for and that should be enough for cats unless he hooks into an enormous one. just my 2 cents!

abudoc

Quote from: ML B on July 03, 2014, 06:00:37 PM
Quote from: abudoc on July 03, 2014, 04:29:06 PM
I noticed the bent ears on the drag washers...

did you notice this before or after getting 10 lbs of drag? also If my memory serves me correctly there's a thread here and somebody posted that the max that you can get out of the old toros is 16 lbs. I have the toro 50 and 8-10 lbs is enough for what I use it for and that should be enough for cats unless he hooks into an enormous one. just my 2 cents!

I noticed the bent ears the first time I looked inside and before checking the drag. Straightened the ears before reassembly but didn't think to check the ears a second time. I'll check the ears again this evening. If they are bent again, I'll fix that issue for good.

16 would be enough drag, with 16 it would at least be equal to the old 6500's. If like Alan says it has to be fished at 2 to 5 lbs then it is little more than a very expensive zebco 33.

It's always nice to have a reel with more drag than you need that way you are not stressing the reel all the time. Right now it would take two hands to get more than 10 lbs and that's not right.