Rod that can do both jigging and boat rod

Started by Marcq, July 17, 2014, 11:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Is it possible? conventional !

Would like to build my own

Thanks, Marc..

Newell Nut

I am going to build an 8 foot Lamiglas jigging rod and use it to fish for snapper on the bottom. The stiffness of it should yank one away from the reef real good.

Marcq

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 18, 2014, 12:14:27 AM
I am going to build an 8 foot Lamiglas jigging rod and use it to fish for snapper on the bottom. The stiffness of it should yank one away from the reef real good.

And still perform well as a jigging rod? What line weight ?

Would like to build something very light, with a split grip around 16oz, 20-40lb fast action and 6', but not sure, never fished on a boat except fresh water

Thanks, Marc..

otownjoe

Marcq

Quote from: otownjoe on July 18, 2014, 02:30:38 AM
Check out the seeker Hercules.

Thanks but not in my price range  ;) Nice rods though

Would like to build something similar in design of the JigStar 250

Marc..

floating doc

I've been thinking of something like this myself, but I haven't built, or even owned a jigging rod. My plan is to check out the blanks at Mudhole (I live in FL), and start with a jigging rod that will work for that purpose. I'll then see about using it for bottom fishing. I don't know if that's a reasonable plan or not.
Central Florida

Marcq

Quote from: floating doc on July 18, 2014, 02:59:58 AM
I've been thinking of something like this myself, but I haven't built, or even owned a jigging rod. My plan is to check out the blanks at Mudhole (I live in FL), and start with a jigging rod that will work for that purpose. I'll then see about using it for bottom fishing. I don't know if that's a reasonable plan or not.

Ha Ha, was just looking at blanks at MudHole, I'm looking at CBVJ6040, need to check the reviews if there's any

Marc..

day0ne

Look at the Batson Rainshadow RCKJB line up of blanks, assuming you are talking about vertical jigging and not West Coast style jigging. The Mudhole blanks don't compare to the Batson blanks, IMHO.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Marcq

Quote from: day0ne on July 18, 2014, 06:53:32 AM
Look at the Batson Rainshadow RCKJB line up of blanks, assuming you are talking about vertical jigging and not West Coast style jigging. The Mudhole blanks compare to the Batson blanks, IMHO.

It will be something between the two style

Marc..

SoCalAngler

For our west coast style of yoyo iron/jigging and for live bait nothing beats a 7' rod for the application of a combo setup. Now when I get to around 50lb test is where I start to look at 6.5' and shorter rods.

Marcq

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 19, 2014, 04:39:27 AM
For our west coast style of yoyo iron/jigging and for live bait nothing beats a 7' rod for the application of a combo setup. Now when I get to around 50lb test is where I start to look at 6.5' and shorter rods.

I see what you mean

Marc..

Three se7ens

I use jigging rods almost exclusively when I fish offshore.  They offer light weight and great sensitivity, and still have enough backbone to handle really heavy drag.  The only catch is the parabolic bend.  Its not a bad thing, its just different, and you need to be ready for a rod that will bend all the way to the butt.  It can make it a little harder to turn a big fish under heavy drag.  Jigging rods do allow you to fish lighter while still having enough reserve to allow you to land something bigger. 

handi2

Jigging rods are all I use also for any bottom fishing or jigging here in the Gulf. They are much lighter and stronger than conventional rods. I do go a little heavy on my rods. Usually an 80 to 200 lb. jigging rod but they are so light..! Something between a 350 to 450 gram rod is perfect.

Pro Challenger's 350 gram rod is a very nice rod and handles huge Amberjack and Grouper. Also a 10' shark..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Thanks guy  8)

I'm starting to gather parts for my build. I've seen jigging rods with gimbals, is it necessary ? Would also like to make it a two piece rod, handle+blank but can't find the hardware for it, I don't even know how to call it  :-\

Marc..

Marcq

Looks like I'm going to do it this way, looks simple enough BUT! can find the reel seat with treads at both ends  ::)

Ha!! Found it http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Aluminum_3/Channel-Lock-2-Ferruled-Saltwater-Aluminum-Reel-Seats

Marc..