Torium 30 - Troubleshooting HELP!

Started by Quoc_Pham, August 08, 2014, 02:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quoc_Pham

I just tore apart a brand new Torium 30 and upgraded the anti-reverse and carbontex drag.

Question 1) With the carbontex drags, with drag cranked up, is the handle supposed to feel like there is more resistance? I can't remember how the handle felt with the stock drags.

Dominick

Define resistance.  If there is more resistance than the weight of the spool there is something wrong.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Dominick on August 08, 2014, 03:51:07 AM
Define resistance.  If there is more resistance than the weight of the spool there is something wrong.  Dominick

Is it normal for the crank handle to have more tension when the drag is tightened? When the star is all the way out the handle spins with very little effort. When I tighten the star it takes a little bit more pressure.

I remember when I bought the reel, when engaged the handle would fall on it's own weight.

Now even with the drag all the way out, gravity doesn't drop down the handle like before.

Is it because the carbontex drags are slightly thicker than factory?

Bryan Young

Sounds like you installed the AR pawl plate backwards.  The curvature should match the curvature of the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 08, 2014, 01:02:00 PM
Sounds like you installed the AR pawl plate backwards.  The curvature should match the curvature of the main gear.

This?

handi2

Bryan is referring to the covers (retainers) that go on top of the AR dogs you are showing. They go on one way or they can rub on the bottom of the main gear when tightened down as you mentioned. The "fat" part of the covers 1/2 of the pin that the dog is sitting on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: handi2 on August 08, 2014, 04:28:33 PM
Bryan is referring to the covers (retainers) that go on top of the AR dogs you are showing. They go on one way or they can rub on the bottom of the main gear when tightened down as you mentioned. The "fat" part of the covers 1/2 of the pin that the dog is sitting on.

I'm trying to follow what you're saying but am a little lost (still new to the terminology so please bear with me), I'll pull it apart again and check. Is there a key number in the diagram in you can point to me?

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/03TOR_30_v1_m56577569830641807.pdf

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: handi2 on August 08, 2014, 04:28:33 PM

Oh wait... this... the holder for the AR dog [Key 306]. It might be backwards... I'll check it with the diagram. This was my before picture and I can't find the after picture... I'll open her up and take a peek.

Quoc_Pham

OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! Clear as day, can't believe I overlooked this!

You guys are awesome... will flip it and see if I didn't do too much damage to the main gear.

Embarrassed... but you gotta learn!

alantani

Quote from: Croaker_King on August 08, 2014, 04:51:09 PM
OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! Clear as day, can't believe I overlooked this!

You guys are awesome... will flip it and see if I didn't do too much damage to the main gear.

Embarrassed... but you gotta learn!

everybody does this once! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on August 08, 2014, 06:27:23 PM
everybody does this once! 

Alan you are being too kind.  Some guys do it two and three times.   :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Quoc_Pham

I'm just glad I took a lot of pictures!

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on August 08, 2014, 11:03:13 PM
Alan you are being too kind.  Some guys do it two and three times.   :D :D Dominick

Yup!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

my nephew was 12.  we were at the dock.  a guy had the cowling of his outboard off and he was checking wires.  i asked it i could help and asked what was up, and he said he couldn't get the engine started.  i said, "where's the lanyard for the kill switch?" and he just rolled his eyes.  he had forgotten the lanyard!!!  i said, "don't worry, everyone does this once!" as we were walking back up the dock, richie says, "you never did that, did you, uncle alan?"  looked at him and said "nope......".
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!