Shark set up?

Started by Krabby Patties, August 11, 2014, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krabby Patties

First I'm on a budget so I need to go slow, but let me know what I need to get and do.
Anything NEED to be done to the reel before it sees the water
Here is what I have so far.
Most fishing will be done in a smaller boat in the inlet or just off the beach if it's nice out.
Penn 114h2
Penn slammer rod with top and bottom rollers
80# power pro 300 yds
Uni/Uni
50# Ande to top off
150# mono leader
Doubled up and twisted #5 mustad wire
10/0 circle hooks

I've done it with a penn defiance 30, so anything is an upgrade.

Shark Hunter

Krabby,
I don't fish a reel that I haven't serviced. New drag washers in that 114H at a minimum. At least check them and make sure they are greased with Cal's or Shimano drag grease. Your setup seems adequate for the type of fishing you are doing.
Life is Good!

Krabby Patties

It's a brand new h2 reel. I think it has the ht100 washers. So they just need to be greased?

Keta

Quote from: Krabby Patties on August 11, 2014, 06:03:12 PM
So they just need to be greased?

Yes.  When you have the reel apart oil or grease the bearings too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Make sure you grease the drags with Drag grease. This is a Teflon Base, rather than petroleum. They might be greased already, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were dry.
Life is Good!

Krabby Patties

I've read two ways to do that. One is rub the grease in and wipe off excess, and the other was to rub it in and leave them coated with liberal amounts of grease. Is this on all washers metal and fiber?

Shark Hunter

I slather it on. Being a star drag. It will push out any excess.
Life is Good!

Krabby Patties

Thanks. I'll pick some Teflon grease up. Anything in particular for the bearings?

Shark Hunter

Use Cal's drag grease. It is readily available. Being a senator, you can either pack the bearings with grease if you aren't concerned with freespool or Use reel X. Lots of guys remove the shields, pack them with grease and leave them open. I am going to start doing this on all my senators.
Alan does a good tutorial on bearings here.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
Life is Good!

Krabby Patties

If I understand what I'm reading then is the shields are to keep saltwater out but the odds that they trap water inside is a greater risk than water passing through them and draining out. Therefore leave the shields off.

Shark Hunter

Its a personal preference. As well as I take care of my reels. I see it as one less step I have to do when I service it again. ;)
Life is Good!

bigmike350566

Like everyone else has said, grease the drags with cal's. Slather it in there, or rub it in and wipe it off.  It's awesome reel grease anyway, so I tend to let it squeeze out. 
I'm going to try not to go too nerd on you with this, but here goes. Anything that rotates has 2 torque values: startup and turning.  We will use your spool for example.  Startup is the amount of force needed to make the spool start to turn.  Turning torque is the amount of force needed to keep the spool turning.  Startup is going to be a higher #.  Just for the sake of  #'s, let's say your drag is set to around 5lbs, it may take 10 lbs to make the drags start to slip.  That would be 10lbs of startup and 5lbs turning. The grease reduces the amount of startup torque signifigantly which can make the difference between setting the hook and snapping the line on his first run.  The grease also broadens the range of the drag, which simply means it's much more progressive and doesn't come on so quickly.  Trust me, these are good things if a big boy gets on, because it is oh so tempting to start wrenching that star when line is screaming off your reel.
One other thing I do that may be overkill, but it works well for me and isn't too pricey, is how I make my leaders.  My first time out sharking, I had a decent fight with about a 5 ft blacktip.  While he was boat side he tail flipped and cut my line.  I make my shark leaders in 2 sections.  On the hook end, I use a mustad 20/0 circle hook, 3ft of 480lbs 49 strand cable attached to a 500lbs triple swivel.  The end that attached to my line is 3-7 ft of weed eater line.  The end result is a leader that is difficult for the shark to bite through, and is roughly as long as he is so that if he tail flips, he is much less likely to cut through the weed eater line.
Some people say a 20/0 is too big.  This poor little sharpnose certainly thinks so! You can also kind of see how my leader is made in this pic.
I hope I haven't confused you more than helped you.  Feel free to ask away if I/we can be of any more help.
It is better to remain silent and appear ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt.

Shark Hunter

I use that 20/0 hook too Mike. They are cheap and proven. I do my rigs a little different though. Wire or cable to at least a 20 ft sliding trace. I'm fishing from the beach. That way he can run with it and hook himself.
Life is Good!

Krabby Patties

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking locally for the grease. I haven't found it anywhere. Even Bass Pro and Gander Mntn. don't have it. BPS did have Penn and some other brand on the shelf.

Shark Hunter

Try Mystic Reel Parts. Smooth drag or ebay.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!