Shark set up?

Started by Krabby Patties, August 11, 2014, 02:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmike350566

+1 for Scott's bait and tackle. If you are going to stick with Penn, you need to check them out.
It is better to remain silent and appear ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt.

Shark Hunter

Big Mike and Krabby,
Here are some of my shark rigs. VMC 16/0 on the bottom with a 25' sliding trace of 400lb mono. Lingred Pitman 18/0 offset on the left with #19 wire and 480lb nylon coated cable for the trace instead of the mono and a 20/0 mustad on top with 480lb cable leader and clear 400lb mono for the trace. All double crimped with 2.2 copper crimps. 6/0 Rosco Swivels and stainless thimbles.

This my biggest rig that I have made so far. A gama 14/0 with #22 toothproof wire and 480lb cable as the trace. My 130lb mono main line will be my shock leader. 8)

I know it gets expensive buying premade leaders. I have learned from a few pro's how to make my own and its not that hard. You also learn the mistakes in the premade ones once you know. ;)
You watch the you tube video's on them and they have some big industrial crimper. Its not needed. A basic Billfisher hand crimper will do the job. All you need is wire, cable, crimps, hooks, mono and a few simple tools. ;)

Life is Good!

jeff smith

Do any of you shark guys on your side of the pond use wind on mono leaders??

Shark Hunter

Yes they do Jeff. I prefer the crimps on these Heavy Duty rigs. Once the leader is reeled to the rod. It hand lining the rest of the way. With 500lb cable and wire, its all over.

Life is Good!