How does one set drag without a drag scale?

Started by Dominick, August 25, 2010, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

dont forget the 50lb mono probably breaks at 70lb +,10% extra for line over guides,saltwater is heavier than fresh,oh simpson get the scales.doh!!!! ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 25, 2010, 02:06:40 AM
Hello Everyone:  Any tips on how to set the drag without using a drag scale?  Is there a way to put a weight on the line?  If one were to put a weight on the line how much line would you feed out to get a close drag weight?  I do not want to buy another toy.  My wife hits the ceiling everytime a package comes in from Charkbait or Penn Parts.  She once said how many fishing reels do you need.  My answer was how many shoes do you need.  ;D
Nuccio, I just noticed this post, by now you should be able to set your drag by feel you old goat ;D. No scale or buckets, they get in the way on the boat ;D. I do as Alan does, I pull on the line and set the drag at 25%, no need to be perfect. I recently reilized that I have more reels than the wife has shoes, Wallace gave me a great tip: He said to sell some of her shoes and get myself another reel ;)
I'm thinking Wallace must live alone ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Whiteman

I've always wondered about the validity of setting drags accurately before starting a day of fishing.

I fish for large fish on the reef typically with 50lb braid. On an overhead reel the strike setting is light enough for me to pull some line off with reasonable force (how many pounds of pressure is this?). If a fish strikes and I need more drag I can use my thumb or push the lever past strike or turn the pressure dial - this is so easy it is 2nd nature. When using a spin reel I am forever setting the drag when playing the fish depending on the stage of the fight or whether I need to have the drag high at first to get fish out of bombies. It is a feel and experience thing in my view. I have never snapped line because the strike drag is set beyond the line's breaking point.

wallacewt

hi whiteman,  the biggest worry with scales is the manufactures of rods and reels tell lies.if you use their data,set a 1/3 b/s its easy to blow up a reel or break a rod.been there done that.im back to the pull hand method and check after i land the fish with the scales.only because its interesting to me.in all my years of fishing i have never broke rod,reel with the pull method(no jokes necessary).another method and better for me because of the way i fish is to strech the rod to maxi;flex and back of a bit and set the drag at that.i dont like the line to touch the blank.i want the rod to work full on,non stop,drag slip over that.cant stop him,point the rod at fish crank it up.short rods are good.    eg;5lb max;drag on the rod but im using 30lb braid and 100lb trace.the stiffer the rod more drag.works for me. my guess=8lb.cheers

Dominick

wallace:  When I started this thread I did not have a scale.  I set my drag by feel.  Since I bought a scale I have practiced on my lever drags to set the drag by scale and then I feel the drag.  I can now set the drag by feel within a lb or 2.  You are right in that you can feel the drag and estimate.  On my big game reels I am amazed how I can barely move 30lbs at strike, but the fish rip off line in big way (I do keep the lever a little below strike so that the line does not break) .  However the scale is the only way to be right on accurate.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

you are right dom when it comes to marlin and such,they have their own special ways.whiteman was refering to 50lb line for bottom bashing.most fishermen dont need scales for that.2 blokes the other day,1 had a big tiagra,100lb+line,drag jammed up tight,the other saltiga 2speed,50lb braid,drag jammed up tight,when i asked why they both gave the same answer"you cant give em an inch."so what happens if a bronze whaler gets lip hooked? "its never happened"to each his own! it is an individual sport thats for sure,we saltwater athletes cant even agree on a knot!cheers mate

Whiteman

Yep, different fish targets, different methods - fishing for coral trout from a bombie you need to get em out ASAP so lock up drag while Fingermark (Lutjanus johni) need a very light drag until well hooked while spanish mackerel also have light strike drags so they can get that first big run out of the way. And then there is everything else in between!

Alto Mare

We try to accurately set the drag, but what I found out after 45 years of fishing is that the fish is smarter than we are :-\. Hey Domenico did you get that scale at the 9th street Italian market? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 26, 2011, 01:27:43 AM
We try to accurately set the drag, but what I found out after 45 years of fishing is that the fish is smarter than we are :-\. Hey Domenico did you get that scale at the 9th street Italian market? ;D
Sal: I bought it at the salumeria, Calabria Pork Store on Arthur Ave. in the Bronx :).  I totally agree with you that the fish are smarter than you are ;D.
Whiteman:  you are 100% correct.  We have to fish for Salmon with barbless hooks here in California.  So the drag is set a little tight while trolling so it will give you time to get the rod in your hands and the fish hooks itself. 
Wallace:  What is a bronze whaler ????  You stump me everytime.  Strange fish in Australia.  What is the best time to fish there?  Maybe I'll take a trip there and fish with you :).  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Wallace:  I just Googled bronze whaler.  That is one tough looking shark :o.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 26, 2011, 07:54:02 PM

.  What is the best time to fish there?  Maybe I'll take a trip there and fish with you :).  Dominick
[/quote]

You better make your mind up quick old man, the flight will take almost a day. ;D ;D ;D.

You're right Dominick , I also googled it,  that's one though looking shark for sure.

Whiteman

I've pulled some big noahs (yanks ... that noahs ark...shark) to the side of the boat. Had to lock up the drag and if something broke hope it was a knot way down near the hook rather than 100m of expensive braid. None of this prissy pump and wind - more jump (backwards) and wind! Pre-setting drag for reef fishing is too hard!

wallacewt

the bronze whaler is possibly the hardest fish in aussie waters to land.not sure how big they grow but 9/10ft are common.they never give up,roll,responsable for a lot of attacks.there is even a recorded case where a fisherman gutted one,threw him back plus the guts and it  ate its own innards.they are very common and for years much despised and killed.they are much respected in this day and age
,thankfully.you guys want to come over you can stay at my place,plenty of boats to get you fishing as well.dont come this week,me and the missus are off on a cruise.cheers   

Alto Mare

Going on a cruise...how romantic. Don't forget to pack your traveling rod and reel  ;). Have a good time Wallace.

wallacewt

rod&reel,its obvious you want me executed sal