"Ventage" Penn Challange

Started by Keta, August 25, 2014, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: doradoben on August 26, 2014, 01:38:42 AM
Rob posted some rules, but I'm not sure that I understand. ??? Is this challenge, catch the biggest fish, win all of the liquor? ;)

Win all the liquor? You might be on to something there. Big Tim was talking about a rod/reel combo for the prize in the other (deposits) post.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Big Tim on August 26, 2014, 11:59:43 PM
I like the all mono for sure...Nothing over 30#  ;D ;D ;D I know I once landed a 28# Halibut on 20# mono on a Penn 209 with an ol' Fenwick E glass rod

But Tim, it's only a 5-day trip. You can't fight a YT on 30# for 3 or 4 of those 5 days. ;D ::) ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Big Tim

I do have an old Seeker S870-7' and a 500 Jigmaster and a 505hs I can put on it for the prize, Rob I got 40# & my HX 5/2 to play with as well, but a big Yellow on a Jigmaster on Steroids with 30# would be AWESOME  ;D ;D ;D

Keta

Dacron pre dates mono and should be allowed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on August 27, 2014, 12:46:54 AM
Dacron pre dates mono and should be allowed.

Lee, I think you pre date mono as well and since your allowed, maybe we can consider it? I don't make rules, just the prize for this one.

Tim

DuPont made public in 1938 that their company had invented nylon.[1] This new invention was the first synthetic fiber, fabrics that are commonly used in textiles today.[2] In 1939, DuPont began marketing nylon monofilament fishing lines;

Big Tim

Quote from: doradoben on August 26, 2014, 01:38:42 AM
Rob posted some rules, but I'm not sure that I understand. ??? Is this challenge, catch the biggest fish, win all of the liquor? ;)

If I can actually remember all the booze that was on that trip? It would be one heck of a haul  ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Just to clarify...I will be providing the prize for at least one challenge ... I will be fishing this set up Friday in the Moro Bay Virg's Landing Ling Cod tournament...Seeker S870-7' (new tip)...Penn 505HS new stock gear sleeve, new reel base, new HT100 drags, new Berkley 30# Big Game Mono...I will retire this set up until next JUNE, 2015, then it will be a prize...I have about $48.00 total in this rig!!! Maybe it can be a perpetual prize and the winner has to modify each year? Just a thought. And just to let you know ...It's not for sale  ;D

alantani

hey, i have friday off.  tell me about the tournament!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on August 27, 2014, 01:57:24 AM
hey, i have friday off.  tell me about the tournament!

Princess: 6am to 4pm $89...Let's do this thing Alan...I have a single queen room for thursday!!! I think you have my # ??? The biggest fish of the week goes into a drawing for Dec. 6th. and the 1st. place is 50% of $1.00 per person that has fished out of Virg's for the whole season!!! Over $3000.00?? 2nd & 3rd pays as well...Crap shoot at best, but if you get the fish of the week then you are 1 of 30 in the drawing!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on August 27, 2014, 01:57:24 AM
hey, i have friday off.  tell me about the tournament!

Call your brother...Let's fish ?

alantani

crud, can't.  too much junk going on as usual........   >:(
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Alan you should have went today ;D ;D ;D my 500 & 505hs performed flawlessly ... If you look closely the small Ling in front has tooth marks! That's a 10# Ling trying to be swallowed by??? Took me into the rocks, broke off my lower jig and 60# line then let go 1/2 up >:( >:( >:(

And this wasn't close to the big fish of the day...Slugs hittin' the decks today :o :o :o

And the 20.5 Jack Pot!

Today was a good day! I think I will fair out ok in the Vintage Penn Challenge ;D ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Maybe throw a Penn hat in with the combo or as a runner up prize?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Lee, you didn't need an old 349 with that nice hxj.

Good deal with your hand, is the truck doing better too?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!