TLD frame failure and swordfish

Started by Russ57, August 25, 2010, 02:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ57

I have seen and read some reports of frame failures.  Does anyone know if this includes the two speed reels as well?  Does anyone have a ballpark figure on a safe maximum drag setting for each size?

I'm looking to put together a budget swordfish/deepdrop outfit.  Line capacity is the big thing as the swords have soft mouths and you can't fish a ton of drag on them.  Most guys are fishing 50 wides but with braid I think a 30 could do.  Figure I need a thousand yards and 20 pounds max drag.

So, think the TLD II is up to the task?  Any other ones to consider in the lower price range?

alantani

i owned a tld 50 lrs II and cracked the frame with 24#'s of drag.  i have seen tld 30 II frames crack with drag pressures in excess of 20#.  i have never seen a tld 20 II frame fail.  i believe that it is stronger because it's narrower.  tiburon makes an aftermarket frame for all of these reels.  i think i have a few 20 and 30 two speed frames left.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2010, 03:07:22 PM
i owned a tld 50 lrs II and cracked the frame with 24#'s of drag.  i have seen tld 30 II frames crack with drag pressures in excess of 20#.  i have never seen a tld 20 II frame fail.  i believe that it is stronger because it's narrower.  tiburon makes an aftermarket frame for all of these reels.  i think i have a few 20 and 30 two speed frames left.  alan

Not 100% sure but I think Willfish is the only one with the TLD 50 frames. Tib has the 20's and 30's.

Russ57

Sounds like I need to explore a different solution.  The only reason to consider the TLD is cost.  By the time I add an aftermarket frame it is no longer a cheap solution.

My desire to go as cheap as possible is because this is a reel I wouldn't use very often.  Maybe a few times a year at best.

Bub B.

Look up sword fishing central.  That is a forum site like this.  It is loaded with info about swordfishing.  I think you will need more than a 30 TLD to deep drop a sword.  Just think of all of that line you have out.  1500 to 2000 feet.  Most people would say 16lbs of drag is appropriate for swords.

Bub B.

One more thing once you drop it you have to reel it all back in.  Unless you have an electric reel.  That's a lot of crankin' on that 30.  Check out the 50TLD LRSA it comes stock with a larger handle.  It is more comfortable to reel than the 30.  Plus it holds more line.  BTW I'm still trying to get my 1st one.  Day or nite.

Russ57

I'll be fishing at night.  While you do fish in one to two thousand feet of water the baits are fished between 50 and 200 feet generally.  Occasionally you will fish one at 400 feet.  So no big deal to crank baits in and no huge amount of line out.

The deep drop part was more about grouper fishing in a few hundred feet of water.

Bub B.

Well in that case go for it.  I thought you were wanting to do day time deep drops for swords.  I use 30 TLD's and 50's.  To be honest I use the same stuff I use for trolling.  I have at least 300 yards of braid and then as much mono that you can fit on the spool. 

Are you in Florida? If so where?  I live in Deltona.

Russ57

I'm in Hollywood, FL.

Mostly dolphin, blackfin, and sailfish down here.  I use an avet LX for trolling as it is more than enough for those fish.  I no longer have a boat and the swordfishing won't happen much.  I have a baja special for grouper.  I can't see myself using a 50W, or even a 30W much so I didn't want to spend a lot.

On the other hand I have been looking for an excuse to buy a two speed reel.  But if I am going to get one I darn sure want it to fish more than 24#'s of drag.  There are times where you have to stop that grouper right now!

Bub B.

whalebreath

Not a TLD 25-great reels but there's no way they'll take that much drag.

I broke mine right off the feet pulling on a large Pacific Halibut off the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands.

Never did see the fish only moved it up about 18" while drifting over a mile and a half!  :o

Phinaddict

Just find a used Penn 50SW. Spool it up with 100# Jerry Brown Hollow spectra. Done deal.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

jonnou

If you hook a sword you want everything you can control in your favour   

handi2

Some here in the Florida Panhandle use the TLD 5011 for Swords but not too many. Most use the Tiagra 50WLRSA at the least. That's what I did b/c the Tiagra 80's are just too heavy. We also use the Reel Crankie for retrieving baits.

I think you should stay away from the TLD for the long term. The Tiagra or International will last a lifetime.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Exceeding the factory specs of a composite reel can cause problems.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain