Penn 500 dog doesn't engage always

Started by Hoochrip, August 30, 2014, 03:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoochrip

I'm having an issue with a jigmaster, the dog engages when the drag is backed down but when tightened up the handle sometimes has to go about 120 to 180 deg before it engages. Checked for grease in dog area and when backed off the dog is clicking well and not as well when tightened down. Could the washer under the gear be hanging up the dog? Has any one have any ideas?

Black Pearl

Is it a stock bridge with stock dog, or my stainless steel bridge with double dogs?

Hoochrip

foakes

If the under gear washer is too large of a diameter, or distorted in some way such as rough edges-- yes, it could interfere with the operation of the dog.  Or if there is grease on the under gear washer, it might cause the interference with the dog when the drag is compressed.

Could try a narrower diameter under gear washer.

Also:

Check if the sharp edges of the dog seem to be rounded slightly or worn.

Check the dog spring and make sure that it is not interfering or attached improperly and that the spring is strong and not weak.

Check if there is too much slop in and out on the handle -- this could indicate a worn gear sleeve pin, or a worn groove on the inner axle attached to the bridge.

Any one of these things, or a combination of a couple -- could cause the issue.

Good luck,  and let us know if the problem persists.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Well said Fred! ;) Nothing I could add to that. I get carried away with my grease, you have to be more careful with the smaller reels. That 180 I did a couple weeks ago, still has dog issues from too much grease.
Life is Good!

Hoochrip

Thanks, Fred  I'll try these tonight I just put on a new ss sleeve on this reel and it started getting strange. I took it apart a few times even tried different gears. I won't get beat with this support.
Thanks all

handi2

All I use is CorrosionX on that part of the bridge. I also keep the original under gear washer b/c I was thinking this exact thing could happen.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hoochrip

Handi2 I have the original washer I'll try spaying it with corrosion x.  Will let you guys know the outcome.
Thanks for the advice all.

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on August 30, 2014, 09:54:17 PM
All I use is CorrosionX on that part of the bridge. I also keep the original under gear washer b/c I was thinking this exact thing could happen.
I believe you'll be better off with a delrin washer.
From my testing the dog/dogs will interfere with the washer for under the gear when that washer is the same size as the ratchet on the sleeve. If that washer is smaller than the ratchet, it wouldn't  interfere with the dog. If you go with a larger washer, approx. 1/8" smaller than the main gear, that would be your best  bet, that's the size that is working great for me and the dogs also like it.
Quote from: Hoochrip on August 30, 2014, 11:20:00 PM
Handi2 I have the original washer I'll try spaying it with corrosion x.  Will let you guys know the outcome.
Thanks for the advice all.

I would take everything apart and check the teeth on the ratchet and the dog for any wear. I would also test the dog by turning the ratchet without the main gear and make sure the spring is still strong enough to push the dog to the ratchet, after a while the spring could lose its tension.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hoochrip

Is the original washer a delrin washer? What I have it is black and not flexible and sit in a recess in the 4/1 gear. Don't know if this gear was ever in a jigmaster or it came from maybe a newell. I never saw a recessed gear in a jigmaster, I have several this was in a 501. Has any one come across this before?

bluefish69

Penn Gears don't have a recess in the bottom. That's a Newell Gear [old 4 stack drag system]. You need a new gear set, I would also change the Pinion Gear.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Hoochrip

Thank you everyone opened it up again and found light score mark on dog from gear. Changed to a jigmaster 4/1 gear like Mike said and put in ss dog and is working great now. Someone must have at onetime put in a set of newell 4/1 recessed gears in this reel.
Thanks again,
Hoochrip
Mark

Shark Hunter

Good Call Mike! The stock undergear is not Delrin. That is something that Sal started and it is a great addition to our beloved Penn's. PM me your address and I will send you one. ;D
Life is Good!

Hoochrip

Thanks Shark Hunter,
Last week we had a 14 ft Great White off local beach 15 miles away in Duxbury MA. Seals bringing them in.
Hoochrip
Mark

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 31, 2014, 03:28:36 AM
Penn Gears don't have a recess in the bottom. That's a Newell Gear [old 4 stack drag system]. You need a new gear set, I would also change the Pinion Gear.

Mike
Not necessarily Mike, I have a few earlier gears from penn with a recess, most are for the surfmasters and squidders, but I also have one or two very early chromed steel for the jigmaster.
Here are some variations with the gears, these are all from penn, some have the recess, some have the bum. the 5-155 don't show neither, but those same gears are .65mm different on the OD.

His gear should be just fine, the washer for under the gear is probably too thin or wore out and needs replacement. I'm betting a new under the gear washer is all that is needs.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.