Penn 155

Started by mike155, September 04, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 27, 2015, 05:12:56 PM

Lee, the 49 has better frame posts. They are twice the diameter of the 180 posts and give the reel a beefier look.

I used the 37-49 posts from one of my 349 upgrades but thought they were 37-180's.

I'm getting 13-1/2 pounds out of my similar to 155 Monofil 25 (narrowed), using .020# metal keyed washers, .020" CF washers and stock eared washers (.035").  

Is there any real difference between the 155 and 25?  I don't see any.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

According to Penn, the Monofil series, as Penn built them, had tighter fitting spools for use with the new monofilament lighter lines. Here is the 1954 / 55 introduction catalog page for the Monofil series:

Even though parts are interchangeable with other reels, according to Penn, these reels are built to higher standards, at least in 1954.

Alto Mare

Very interesting Mike, thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have been using my 1/0 for light tackle fishing 20-25#, but I may venture into trying onf of these monofils out. Great info mike!

Penn Chronology

QuoteVery interesting Mike, thanks!

QuoteI have been using my 1/0 for light tackle fishing 20-25#, but I may venture into trying onf of these monofils out. Great info mike!

These are great and simple reels. They can easily be built to a higher strength by upgrading the parts but they were first built as Light Tackle reels. Here is how they looked in 1954, 55 & 56 only, from left to right the Model 25, 26 & 27:

After their colorful years they went to basic black or maroon, depending on what year they were.