Curado CU 200 Handles

Started by VSTK, September 08, 2014, 02:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSTK

I have quite a few of the older green Curado CU200s. The reels are serviced from time to time and are in great shape ......... but I would really like to replace the handles with something besides the originals. I wanted something like the handle size and paddles that are on my Calais CL200ASV reels. I have seen several of the later Curado handles that I like ....... particularly the CU300 ........... but can find no information on what will or will not fit. The Curado drag adjustment knob has a detent tab, is this needed etc? I am also open to after market handles but only seem to find large power type replacements .......... can anyone offer suggestions?

I wasn't sure where to post ............ so please let me know if this isn't in the proper place. I did search the site and found similar questions but not related to the 200.

Thanks,

VSTK

Zimbass

Hi VSTK,

There are so many variations of Shimano reel handles that will fit on the Curado. The Calais handles are fixed to the drive shaft from the underside of the handle, so would not fit. I would suggest that you decide on what length you would prefer, and what handle knobs would suit you best. These can have bearings added in some cases.Older Chronarch, and Citica handles will swop out too.

The newer 200E and 200G models would fit, but you would need to change out the star drag if you wanted to retain the clicker.

Not easy to say, without knowing your preference's.

Cheers,

Terry.

"The Curado drag adjustment knob has a detent tab, is this needed etc?" Not sure what you mean here. The tab is necessary for the spool tip to spin on. Removing it would be crazy  :)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

VSTK

Thanks for the reply Terry,

I believe what I was referring to as a detent. you called a clicker. The handle I would like to try is a Curado 300E handle ........ what would I need to do with the star drag to have to work properly? Is it likely the handle would easily fit the shaft?

Van

Strewth

Lots of choices, as pointed out above. For example:

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/332
http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Tuning_handles_Shimano.htm

Many of the stock Shimano handles will also fit and cost less.

Zimbass

Quote from: VSTK on September 08, 2014, 05:46:55 AM
Thanks for the reply Terry,

I believe what I was referring to as a detent. you called a clicker. The handle I would like to try is a Curado 300E handle ........ what would I need to do with the star drag to have to work properly? Is it likely the handle would easily fit the shaft?

Van

Hi Van,

I have never tried to swop out the 300E to an old Greenie Curado, but do believe that it will work, as the shaft size is the same on the 2 models. As for the star drag, and clicker, there is a spring, and pin that would need to fit with the 300E star drag, and I am pretty sure that this would not fit, as there would be a difference in the height of the star, and this would impact the drag.

Get the 300E handle and fit it on with the existing parts, and forsake the clicker. It does nothing really !

Sure there must be someone on here that knows better   ;D

Terry.

VSTK

It looks like the clicker is part of the nut retainer on the old greenie ........ I think all it will require is an extra hole in the 300 handle to just do a quick swap and have things just as they are. It also looks like the price will be good compared to aftermarket setups.

When I look at aftermarket handles it seems like most of the handles' compatibility charts skip over the older CU200s ..........

Pro Reel

You need to drill an extra hole in a modern handle and then use the original nut cover from the 200 greenie. The hole needs to be just big enough for the steel prong on the nut cover to go through. Use the old handle as a guide to make the hole. You may need to square the hole some with a little file

Zimbass

Told you that someone would know better than me !! Pro Reel does not post often, but listen to him when he does  ;)

Let us know how it goes Van, and enjoy the most popular low profile baitcaster ever made.

VSTK

I found two new CU300E handles on EBay for a great price to play with. The spacing and knobs feel a lot like the handles on my Calais AVS s. I did a quick trial fit and it is going to be an easy retrofit. It looks like just a little adjustment to the hole beneath the clicker and we will be good to go. I'll get a couple pics of the finished product.

:)