Abu Revo Inshore Maintenance question after being submerged

Started by Ohana, August 30, 2010, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

Hello everyone!

I just joined and thanks to Alan for posting this great information.

My question may be ridiculous, but I have to ask.  I was fishing today in Newport Harbor and my Abu Garcia Revo Inshore fell into the water and was submerged for about 5 - 10 seconds.  I continued to fish with the reel, but my question is how much disassembly do I need to do to the reel to make sure that the salt water did not get to deep into the reel and should I have the reel serviced?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Kevin

Bryan Young

The safest answer is soak it in fresh water for 5 minutes, drain (and shake) water out, change out water and soak for another 5 minutes, and depends on whether the reel was serviced before, and what they did (greased), it may not need servicing.  If not, you may want to do a general service yourself.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

figure you have water in all the bearings.  they will corrode unless you open up each one (ouch)!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ohana

Thanks for the replies.

I had it serviced about 3 weeks ago, but it sounds like it would best be safe to have it serviced again due to the saltwater intrusion.

Kevin

alantani

this is where it helps to leave the spool bearings open and pack the non-spool bearings with grease.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewer

I just finished my 1st revo break down. Thank you Tani and the tut. On a great explaination on Revo. 5 stars!!!!!
"stay thirsty my friends"