two piece will not come apart any suggestions ?

Started by Redfish King, October 09, 2014, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

Its a 13.5 length surf rod graphite blank made by century the model is called the slingshot ss1560.I built the rod and its only been used 3 times each time theres been an issue but it was sorta stuck this time its really stuck.its not necessary but I did wrap the female side of the ferral.Im wondering if its possible to compress that fitting if you wrap it too tight and I tend to wrap tight.I have already tried some heat to no avail so I'm looking for tricks and suggestions.Also does anyone know if there are issues with this rod model getting stuck.I have been putting the only oil I had available before joining the rod yellow rocket fuel probably not the best oil for that purpose.I was thinking about wax as a fix for this issue and some light sanding on the female side once its apart.

handi2

All I know is to have 2 people and do the twist, turn and pull dance. My father who is now 80 always told me to wipe the grease off my nose on the rod before putting it together...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

blank to blank joints should never be oiled, greased,...  Dry is the best.  The oil, grease,... creates a vacuum between surfaces.

Now that it's stuck, I would try using those strap wrenches and twist and pull as close to the joint as possible. Try cooling the joint with canned air and heat with blow dryer, and repeat then twist  What this is doing is to try to create an air pocket between two surfaces so that the surfaces release when twisted.

That said, I oiled one of my rod joints and I have not been able to get the joint apart...and is now a 1 piece rod because it's stucker than stuck.  

Wrapping too tight on that joint is not the cause of the rod not coming apart, but under strain, your rod could snap just above that wrap because the scrim fibers of the rod cannot expand and contract during flexing and is confined where it's wrapped too tight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Much more often than not --

On any size stuck together 2-piece rod, this has nearly always worked for me:

On each piece, wrap 5" at least 5 layers deep, in opposing directions -- of friction type electrical black tape.  This was the same stuff we used on baseball bat wraps when we were kids.

Either use the strap clamps Bryan recommends, or very carefully use a couple of pairs of vice grips at just enough lock to grip tight -- but not to compress the blank.  Try to just slightly twist at first -- the clamps or vice grips should be first rotating the same direction as the tape lay on the rod pieces.  This helps to tighten the tape -- and it just may come apart at this point.

Gently at first, rock the clamps back and forth in an opposing operation.

With patience and care -- it will come apart.  Two people help -- but are not necessary.

Then sand down the male portion -- smooth out the female portion -- very slightly, testing fit as you go.

This works.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Marcq

Bought a 2pc  Andros jigging rod on ebay that the guy was selling as a 1 pc, he couldn't take them apart , once I received the rod, first thing I did was put a bag of ice on the junction, 45 minutes later, equipped with rubber gloves was able the take them apart with a bit of effort

Try it

Marc..

the rockfish ninja

Sometimes temperature has an effect, try a hair dryer to warm it up, it may break it free or loosen it up. After you get it apart (good luck on it), you can treat the joint with candle wax to prevent a major lockup like you have now. I know Bryan says "dry is best" but wax is something that has prevented stuck 2pc rods for me since the 80's.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Jeri

Hi All,

We get this every year at the end of our summer season- when folks have pushed dry/oiled/greased spigoted rods together – and then they come to go home after a month of fishing – hey presto – its stuck!!!

Find a big 4x4 type vehicle with a tow hitch, and a clear 20' space behind it – then with a piece of soft nylon rope ( I like 6mm or 1/4  inch), make a loop drop it over the tow hitch. Then two clove hitches over the reel seat, with enough slack between the reel seat and the tow hitch so that it is just loose, and the end of the rod is not touching the vehicle.

Grasp the rod by the upper section, and holding horizontally, swing and jerk the rod horizontally against the tightened rope. Basically you are trying to 'shock' move the top section out of the bottom section. We find that what happens is that the sctions will come apart very gradually, less than 1mm at a time. The shock load is what you are trying to achieve.

The problem occurs when you probably put the rod together it was warm, and then it cooled to create a partial vacuum. That with the corrupted joint, will surely stick together.

The issue with Century and some of the other UK style blanks, is that the joint is parallel, so once home it has a huge friction surface to stay together. The only long term solution is to pray the joints with a silicone polish – even a domestic furniture polish – as being silicone, nothing sticks to it. This will give you a good joint for fishing, but one that will not jam so tight.

Best of luck – we end up doing about 20 rods a week during the end of the holiday season – and tell everyone about furniture polish – then we don't see them again for that problem.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

Quote from: handi2 on October 09, 2014, 03:42:14 PM
All I know is to have 2 people and do the twist, turn and pull dance. My father who is now 80 always told me to wipe the grease off my nose on the rod before putting it together...
I've seen my boy do that Keith. I do it now too. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Redfish King,

We are talking about a glass to glass joint connections, right?  Not the old metal ferrules, right?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bucktail

wrap the ferrule in some ice for 10 minutes then try it.
Just a jig-a-lo

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Bucktail on October 10, 2014, 12:26:01 AM

This is what I do, but I put the ice on the male end of the rod only.  In fishing rods, like people, Ice will make the male end shrink and you should be able to remove it.  :)

Marcq

Quote from: Jon Vadney on October 10, 2014, 12:46:20 AM
Quote from: Bucktail on October 10, 2014, 12:26:01 AM

This is what I do, but I put the ice on the male end of the rod only.  In fishing rods, like people, Ice will make the male end shrink and you should be able to remove it.  :)

It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, It shrinks!!??  ;D

Marc..

Redfish King

I got it !!!!!! I googled stuck rod and found  The Four Handed Twist and pull Technique. One of your hands on either side of the ferrule and your partners hands the same then twist in opposite directions and lean back against one another presto it worked. Im super happy.Thanks for the advice about oil causing air lock Bryan.And yes it was graphite to graphite ferrules.Thanks everyone some great ideas.This connection has some real issues I will try the furniture polish first then maybe a heavier wax then maybe some sanding. I will keep posting on this connection from hell it is a good example of as bad as it can get.