420ss

Started by Shark Hunter, October 11, 2014, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Is this all the bail is supposed to open on a 420?
Life is Good!

Doug

On my 430ss the bail wire extends just below the front lip of the spool. Looks like the bail wire is bent if its opening all the way   Doug

handi2

Yeppers...Just bend it..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Just wanted to make sure. Thanks ;D
Life is Good!

Doug

Daron  Be careful when bending the bail wire. Try to hold the end by the line roller with  a pair of  pliers to give it some support. I have had one snap off on me right where  the bend that goes into the line roller is  Doug

Shark Hunter

Thanks Doug. That picture is where I already bent it some. I will take it off the rotor before I attempt it.
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Daron --

Possible I am wrong -- but is the bail arm retracted all of the travel distance into the locking open position?

From here, it doesn't look like that bail wire can be bent much more -- and even if you somehow forced it to bend more -- it would not have the proper angles when closed or open -- although it would work.

Check to make certain all is assembled properly with the bail arm mechanism, hopefully before bending the wire any more.  And verify there is not a bail arm notch in the wrong rotation travel channel or something else?  And that all is working crisp and free.

Not trying to butt in anywhere -- just a possible observation from 3000 miles away.

A bent bail wire is the culprit 85% of the time -- but something doesn't seem quite right in this case, at least to me.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I was thinking the same thing Fred. Something is amuck here. There is a raised portion of plastic on the bail cover you can see in the pic. The bail won't open any further. Its either the wrong bail or something isn't together right. Might be the wrong bail arm as well.
I just got schooled on these by Sal, so hopefully I can figure it out. ;)
I think this is the culprit.

This is how it looks on my reel.
Life is Good!

handi2

They get bent all the time. You can carefully bend it but keep the straight section by the line roller as it is. Also make sure it lines up perfectly when you install the line roller screw.

In the first picture the bail arm is opened all the way. Just the bail wire is out of whack..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

You were right Keith. I made sure all the springs and doo dads were in right and it was just bent, when I put it next to a 430. I got it straightened out now. Thanks everyone. ;D
Life is Good!

foakes

Glad it got straightened out OK, Daron --

Great little reels...

Good call, Keith!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

Glad it worked out for you. These little reels are a tribute  to the days when Made in the USA really  meant something  Doug