Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Going through a bunch of old reels over the weekend -- and found a few neat old oddball spinners  (probably no one else likes them as much as I do -- but that's OK).  They are all mostly metal, ball bearing, and well made from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s.

2 old Italian Alcedo Microns
A Italian Cargem 44M
Ocean City 350
Ocean City 300, 310, 320
Daiwa A-130RL
Daiwa GS-13S
Daiwa 100X
Zebco 6010
Abu Cardinal 653
Shakespeare 2210
Shakespeare 2240
Rogue 150

The old Rogue is kind of neat.  There is a finger lever up and behind the rotor that will put the spool into free-spool when pressed with your finger.

There were the usual other suspects like Mitchell, Dam Quick, Penn, Shimano, Ocean City, Pflueger, Johnson, Langley, Ryobi, lots of old baitcasters, fly reels, and around 400 just junk or parts reels.  About 1500 total.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cwillis85

Cool stuff there Fred, I don't think the Fishing Hall of Fame can hold a flame to the collection of vintage reels you have collected.
Chris

foakes

Looked up a little history on that old Rogue reel from the 60s --

John Shaw, independent reelmaker -- each assembled by hand -- high quality.

Up in Keta Country -- Grants Pass, Oregon.

By 1960 it was evident that those new fangled spinning reels were here to stay, and Shaw turned his attention to producing a fixed spool reel equal to the quality of his other Rogue Reel. The result was the Model 150 Rogue Spinning Reel, which came out in 1962.

The Rogue 150 was a high quality machine that incorporated the floating disk drag principal in a spinning reel. This drag was innovative, for it was not found in the spool, or on the rear of the reel. The drag adjustment was on the back of the cup, and it also incorporated a finger lever. The spinning reel drag lever worked the same as on the Model 200 single action reel - push the lever forward and you had a free spool; pull it back and you could increase the brake to full lockup.

This spinning reel was just as high quality as Shaw's other reels. The frame, spool, and external brake parts were cast from an aluminum alloy. The working parts were helical cut gears of steel, caged needle bearings on the gear shaft with other bearings of oil-ite bronze. The bail roller did that - it rolled rather than just being a hardened piece over which the line passed. The bail was made of stainless steel, and the bail trip spring was adjustable. You didn't need to back up the handle and slam it forward to make the bail trip with a Rogue reel. It always sprung to retrieve position easily.

This was a large spinning reel, made for the steelhead and salmon the Oregon. The spools  held 475 yards of 8 pound test monofilament, or 200 yards of 15 pound test monofilament. The spool only held the  line and had no other mechanical parts within. Extra spools were available. It was made in a left handed model as well as the standard right hand version.

The Model 150 Rogue Spinning Reel came out at a list price of $37.50, but by the 1980s it was selling (or not selling) for $87.50, including a simulated leather case. In the late 1990s John Shaw was still assembling spinning reels on demand, from parts on hand.

From gladiolus farmer to maker of the famous Rogue Reels, John Shaw led a very full life. He was eighty-eight years old when he died at his home in Grant Pass on May 13, 2001.

Phil White, with help from, and photo by, Ernie Johnson

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Fred, I'm sure 50 or so years from now your place will be a museum ;).
I've noticed in one of your pic that I can't find now, you have some white penn handle knobs and drag knobs for the smaller reels. Be careful how you keep those, they're impossible to find. Those are the most sought-after, especially the ones on the green 716.
Here is a pic of my 720, love these little reels:

Do you recognize the one in the back? It has your fingerprints all over it and that's what makes it more valuable. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Found another old Pelican in really good condition yesterday, I didn't know I had -- so now I have two again.

See, it never hurts to share -- always comes back -- and helps everyone out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Found enough Penn reels in need of work to justify getting them ready for the next Sportsman show or yard sale.

Last show in March, ended up selling around 64 that I had restored with new parts and greased drags.

This might yield around 30 or 40 with some I already have -- and adding the restores.

No expensive reels -- just mostly white bread...

Squidders, Jigmasters, small Senators, Longbeaches, levelwinds, and a few others.

Lot of fun to see them come back to life -- so that others can enjoy fishing them.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

OK, Guys & Gals --

Here is the challenge --

Put all of the old junk Penn parts in 1 bin -- weighs 64 pounds.

How many reels does everyone think we can get out of these parts?

I will post pics when done -- and they will all be basically stock -- complete disassembly cleaning and servicing with Yamaha Marine Blue, Cal's drag grease, new CF drags, synthetic oil, and any missing parts replaced.

Might take a few weeks in between employment, reel jobs, and other life duties.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tightlines667

I am going to guess 50-65 complete reels.  I know you've got the handle arms, stands, spools, and guts just not sure how many matching sideplate sets you have.  That looks like fun!  Good Luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wallacewt

35 1/2,we dont want a tie do we
cheers

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Forgot to mention, there is...

A PRIZE FOR GUESSING NUMBER OF COMPLETED REELS!

In the event of multiple winners -- our in-house Legal Counsel, Dominick, Esq. --  will determine the recipient of this priceless piece of Penn history -- using established legal precedents, over 2500 years old -- in place since the Roman Empire.

Penn DelMar 285

Ebay description:

Selling Grandpa's original antique Penn 285 DelMar fishing reel, custom power handle that matches side plate, adjustable reel stand, little stiff from being stored, probably needs oil, collector's item -- a must have for any serious Penn collector...Free Shipping included and insurance will be provided to protect this priceless investment.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

cwillis85

Your definitely not going to want to clean the patina off that reel, lol
Chris