Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

17...Fred is a busy guy..Unless he gets rolling I say 17

theswimmer

I love the power handle mod on the prize reel!
My guess is 27.597.
If I win I will donate the prize to the June long distance trip for the Most Gear Lost award.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tightlines667

Is the winner the one who guess closest to the number of completed reels, or the number of completed reels without going over?  I am guessing he might find a few more needed penn reel parts in his other parts inventory (outside the pictured bin).  Final number of working reels produced overall is the number?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

The winner will be the closest to the actual number of complete reels.

I may need to bring in a spool or two, maybe a couple of sideplates, or some rings, posts, etc.

Of course, they will all get new greased HT-100s.

However, it will be basically just what is in the bin -- plus a maybe a few parts to complete reels that are mostly 90% there -- just missing a piece or two.

The contest will be completed when it is impossible to make another complete working reel -- economically.

We will probably all be surprised.

One must be very careful and scrupulously honest when running a contest of this type -- given the high dollar prize involved. 

That is why I have chosen an "impartial, serious, no-kidding ever" type of judge to serve as General Counsel in case of a close finish involving multiple contestants.

Prizes of this value, sometimes bring out the worst in good people.

Might even have to throw in a bonus reel or two -- just to ease the pain of losing for any close seconds.

😀😀😀😀

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Alright Fred! Now its on! :)
This contest will bring out the best in good people. ;)
If I win. My reels will go to a good friend of Mine. ;D
You can just send them straight to Brentwood, NY. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

If I win, I may be commissioning shark hunter's expertise in constructing appropriate pliths.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

anglingarchitect

37 is my guess, looks like some are gtg, lot of work to be done.

broadway

Fred,
  If you're bringing in parts from outside the bin then i'm going with just 26... leave off the 6 half reels ;D
You're a good dude, Daron ...I wanna follow your lead, so to Brentwood they go if it's 26.
Get cracking Fred, you got a lot of work to do. ;D
I'm looking forward to hearing the magic number,
Dom

Shark Hunter

I guessed 27 Brother. I think close to the 30 mark is going to win the pot! ;)
Life is Good!

harryk3616

you guys are too much, love you my pals

Tightlines667

My actual/official guess is 45 complete reels.  I too utilized the Sal method, but employed a slightly more optimistic ratio of completed reels to left over parts (given the source), and a slightly smaller average reel weight.
Hope springs eternal

Doug

Considering Freds talents I bet he gets 48 out of that bin  Doug

Zimbass

Would not know what to do with the prize in bass fishing, but enjoy the idea of winning  ;D

My guess 42
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

foakes

OK -- Going to start on the Penn Reel rebuild today.

First prize for closest guess to actual is the specially modified Del Mar pictured above.

If anyone would like to add a guess for the number of completed reels -- or even to change your previous guess -- you can have until Sunday evening at midnight to do so, PST.  We will close the guesses after that.

Going to start on the Longbeaches first -- have (10) 60s, (3) 65s, and (1) 68 on the bench and ready to go.

The rest of the bunch is in or next to the bin still on the floor -- these include 49s, 149s,  Jigmasters, Squidders, Monofils, 3/0, 4/0, 6/0, 209, 109, 150, 155, 85, and some other odd ones.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.