Sorting Through Old Reels

Started by foakes, November 03, 2014, 06:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

well my first guess was 23,  but i think i'm going to reverse it to 32.  good reeling fred

Doug

Hi Fred  I would like to change mine from 48 to 41  Doug

broadway

Fred,
   Don't forget to eat, drink, and give a smooch to the misses every once in a while. ;)
Have fun brotha,
Dom

BMITCH

Wait,wait,wait.....I didn't know we get second guesses  ::) my new guess would be 51
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Fred,
I completely went through three reels tonight and that is my limit. You are a Machine! ;)
Come on 27!
Life is Good!

bluefish69

If no one has 34 then I will take this number

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

I vote 37.  The answer to all math questions is 37.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Started the 14 Long Beaches at 2:45 -- stopped at 6:45 -- so far have two completed.

Every one has been stripped of line, completely disassembled, soaked in mineral spirits, ultrasonically cleaned with purple degreaser and simple green, all salt and contamination removed, all grease removed, rinsed and soaked in fresh water, dried and ready to put in new HT-100 drags, Shimano Marine grease, synthetic oil, and Cal's drag grease. 

Will finish these up tomorrow, dinner is ready.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 23, 2014, 12:07:55 AM
Fred,
I completely went through three reels tonight and that is my limit. You are a Machine! ;)
Come on 27!

Mine Too!

2 international 80STWs and an old 14/0 are more then enough for one day!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Reassembling the 14 Long Beaches --

Switching out spools, bushings, new drags, cleaning and smoothing the sleeves, bridges, yokes, inspecting  gears and changing out if necessary, grease & oil, just like jigsaw puzzles when you try to combine various parts to make a usable, smooth operating reel.

So far, so good.  A few parts missing, some rough operating spools and bushings, some stripped gears, eccentric springs bent -- just switching around parts as I go.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

Looks like fun stuff to me. Surprising how fast you can go through these things.

I have 3 rods with grips all glued up and after I mowed the lawn today I just could not make myself start wrapping guides.  Guess I needed a day off.

foakes

Spent about 5 hours doing 8 reels this afternoon.

So with yesterday's 2 -- that's 10 -- 4 more LBs to go.

2BA9D7578D5_zpsr3ve6noj.jpg.html][/URL]

--------

Fred O.

Big Tim

my guess of 17 is looking good  ;D

MarkT

Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2014, 04:31:00 PM
Forgot to mention, there is...

A PRIZE FOR GUESSING NUMBER OF COMPLETED REELS!

In the event of multiple winners -- our in-house Legal Counsel, Dominick, Esq. --  will determine the recipient of this priceless piece of Penn history -- using established legal precedents, over 2500 years old -- in place since the Roman Empire.

Penn DelMar 285

Ebay description:

Selling Grandpa's original antique Penn 285 DelMar fishing reel, custom power handle that matches side plate, adjustable reel stand, little stiff from being stored, probably needs oil, collector's item -- a must have for any serious Penn collector...Free Shipping included and insurance will be provided to protect this priceless investment.

Sounds good but there wasn't a Roman "Empire" 2500 years ago.

Best,

Fred

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: MarkT on November 24, 2014, 03:40:08 AM
Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2014, 04:31:00 PM
Forgot to mention, there is...

A PRIZE FOR GUESSING NUMBER OF COMPLETED REELS!

In the event of multiple winners -- our in-house Legal Counsel, Dominick, Esq. --  will determine the recipient of this priceless piece of Penn history -- using established legal precedents, over 2500 years old -- in place since the Roman Empire.

Penn DelMar 285

Ebay description:

Selling Grandpa's original antique Penn 285 DelMar fishing reel, custom power handle that matches side plate, adjustable reel stand, little stiff from being stored, probably needs oil, collector's item -- a must have for any serious Penn collector...Free Shipping included and insurance will be provided to protect this priceless investment.

Sounds good but there wasn't a Roman "Empire" 2500 years ago.

You are probably right, Mark --

Caesar Augustus declared himself Emperor  in 27 BC -- and that is typically when some think the Empire started.  However, Romulus declared himself King in 753 BC -- and founded Rome.

And then again, I'm not so sure this reel belonged to Grandpa, either!  😄😄😄 Thanks for clarification, Fred

--------

Fred O.