Back from my Longrange trip

Started by Jon Vadney, November 11, 2014, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Well I just got back in last night from my 9 day trip aboard the Vagabond.  I'll give a brief report here, then I'll update it later on once I get the pictures and everything squared away.

I drove down to San Diego from San Jose on Halloween.  I left at about 1530 and didn't make it to the harbor until 0030.  I did not turn my windshield wipers off the entire drive and there were some points where I had to slow down to about 30mph in order to see.  I finally get down to SD and got a primo parking spot right in front of point loma. 

Day 1:  We load the gear w/o any issues, get bait, and then get underway.  The safety speech is given as we start to make our way south in some pretty choppy weather.  The plan is to work our way south stopping at a few spots to try for yellows.  We are going to head to the Potato Bank (615miles from port) and should arrive there on morning of day 4.  At this point I haven't slept yet so I retire to my bunk and pass out.  I wake up at 0200, having realized I slept through dinner (which was prime rib  >:( ), so I get some fruit and hang out until morning time.

Day 2:  We make our way to Canoas and fish for some yellows.  Most people are able to get a fish or two on the yoyo iron.  We then start to motor down to cedros to fish the next morning.

Day 3:  Cedros provides a little better fishing for the yellows, although the grade is about the same, 12# - 25#.  We get some more fish and then head full speed to Mag bay to make mackerel for the potato bank.

Day 4:  We get to the potato bank and I spent the whole day fishing large macks and the chunk in hopes of landing some of the larger (up to 300#) fish that have been caught there recently.  Capt. Mike saw many large tuna on the sounder throughout the day but none of them wanted to play.  We caught some smaller YFT and then decided to work our way north to Alijos to try for some wahoo.

Day 5:  Travel day with some wahoo trolling.  One wahoo was caught by one of our lady-anglers on a marauder. 

Day 6:  Alijos.  We get there and start trolling around and are picking away steadily at the wahoo with some bomb fish mixed in.  Another LR boat sees that we are there and proceeds to make it's way near us (apparently there is a "gentleman's agreement" between the skippers that one boat will get the rocks per day for wahoo since they are so pressure sensitive, but that agreement went out the window on this day for some reason).  Because of the other boat, we decided to work our way south to some banks and fish out there.  Once we got down there my troll rotation came up and I was able to get a 45# wahoo on a Catchy Tackle magnum spinner.  After the next stop I was able to get one on a bomb.  I ended the trip with 2 wahoo which was great for me :)

Day 7:  We moved north to fish some of the banks for more yellowtail and yellowfin.  Nothing of significance was caught, but we did add some fish to our holds. 

Day 8:  We looked for kelp to get some dorado's for everyone.  After 3 or 4 empty kelps, we hit the motherload and it was WFO dodo fishing.  They hit anything that was in the water.  We finished up our dodo's and then headed to the barn.

Day 9: HOME!

A few notes about the Vagabond.  It most certainly isn't the most luxurious vessel in the LR fleet.  With that being said....I don't think there is a better crew or capt down there.  I have fished quite a few boats and w/o a doubt, Mike Lackey is the best skipper I have ever had the pleasure of fishing with.  Additionally, he is also one of the most personable individuals who runs a boat I have ever encountered.  The food was typical "Americana" style, but I never was disappointed with a meal.  If you have never fished on the Vagabond with capt. Mike, I recommend you give it a try.  He is a helluva skipper (he also owns the boat, so he most certainly has "a dog in the fight"). 

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Can't wait for the pictures Jon. Glad you had a safe trip! ;D
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

Glad you had a great trip Jon. Looking forward to the pics.

TomT

Glad you had a great trip Jon. Looking forward to the pics.

X2 ;D ;D
TomT

Bryan Young

Glad you are back safe and sound.  SSounds like you had a great time except missing the prime rib.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon Vadney

BMITCH

Nice fish Jon. Thanks for the pictures. Those mahi sure got some color!
luck is the residue of design.

TomT

Too bad about the prime rib.  Very nice looking fish.  Good wahoo and very golden dorado--picture must have been soon after landing.  Looks and sounds like a great trip.
TomT

Steve-O

Yahooo on the Wahoo! Nice one.  And that Mahi is blazing! They do fade fast though. Thanks for sharing the report.

alantani

talked to the big fella this afternoon.  sounds like he had a great trip.  his back is acting up again, though.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!