Phenix PSW760L - ISA 7'6"8-25

Started by Alans Buddy, November 20, 2014, 12:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alans Buddy

Hello Jon,

I work with Alan.
I'm thinking about picking up the above rod but don't like the handle.
I'd use it mostly for local rock fish, lings, etc. Overkill? maybe.
Alan suggested I talk to you before I bought stock.
I'd love to hear what you can do. I'm sure anything, but I don't want to mortgage the house.

Look forward to talking to you!

Ben

Bryan Young

Hey Ben, welcome to the site.  It's about time with photos of you and your sons plastered on this site. 

Good fishing with you too...although I crashed.

I'm sure Jon will take good care of you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Welcome Ben!
I think you should get some perks with a name like that. :D
Life is Good!

alantani

i sit next to this guy at work!  and this is the first time he's ever posted anything?  ;D

oh, and welcome!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jon Vadney

Hey Ben!  If you wanted one built, I can do it no problem for you.  What's really going to determine cost is the choice of components and how decorative you want it to be.  What kind of handle configuration were you looking to get?  Also, how decorative do you want the rod to be?

alantani

jon, i'll bring in the rod that you made for me and let him take a look.

alantani

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 20, 2014, 12:48:26 AM
Hey Ben, welcome to the site.  It's about time with photos of you and your sons plastered on this site. 

Good fishing with you too...although I crashed.

I'm sure Jon will take good care of you.

our last trip!

Alans Buddy

Thanks for the welcome!
Jon, I'll have to come down and meet you and explore options. Nothing too fancy. I like the looks of the Black Diamond rods but they don't have the lighter stick. I'm going to pair it to a Lexa 300.  I'm just a rookie going broke knowing Alan. I'll have to drink his Coors Light with you.

Bryan it was nice meeting you. You look much younger in person.

Alan thanks for all your support!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Alans Buddy on November 20, 2014, 11:23:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
Jon, I'll have to come down and meet you and explore options. Nothing too fancy. I like the looks of the Black Diamond rods but they don't have the lighter stick. I'm going to pair it to a Lexa 300.  I'm just a rookie going broke knowing Alan. I'll have to drink his Coors Light with you.

Bryan it was nice meeting you. You look much younger in person.

Alan thanks for all your support!

Hey buddy!  I am always down to imbibe in some tasty adult beverages at Alan's place (I tried to get Alan to enjoy some scotch before 5pm the other day, he resisted), so feel free to set up a time that works for both of you.  I build rods for a living so I can, 99% of the time, work with my client's schedules.  When we meet up in person, we can go over all of the details and I can answer any questions that you may have. 

Also... knowing Alan is dangerous to our bank accounts.  My wallet cries every time Alan says "Hey! Check this out!" hahaha.

alantani

maybe a beer with lunch, otherwise we wait until 5pm, and no scotch until 9pm.   ;D

Alans Buddy

Thanks Jon. I'll coordinate with Alan.

Alans Buddy

That's a sweet rod you made Alan!
Lookin like it'll be a PHD836L 8'3" 10-25. That CF is nice.

Hopin we can get together after the holiday.

Have a great holiday all!

SoCalAngler

Can I suggest pulling on some rods or blanks before a you purchase anything? I have said it here before but will say it again I like and fish Calstar rods, not that there is a problem with fishing others rods. There are several manufactures that make the type of rod your looking for, some cost more some less but the rod is for you and you should get something that feels right for you. If you can go to a tackle shop and pull on the type of rods your looking for side by side of one another. This will give you the feel of the rods and materials used such as all glass, composites and all graphite. I'm not a fan of the latter but some like them.

All glass rods in that lb test range will be a little heavier but not by much, the composites IMO will have the best of both worlds and all graphite will be the lightest but most likely the stiffest.

All I'm trying to say is get a feel of the type of rod your looking for first before you buy one or have one made.

Alans Buddy

Thanks for the advice SoCal! I got similar advice from Alan. I went to Hi's Tackle in SSF and checked out a bunch of different rods. I met with Jon today. Awesome guy! He asked me a bunch of questions to get a feel for what I wanted and made recommendations. He'll build whatever you want but I left feeling like I'll get a custom rod that will do everything I need it to do and have everything I wanted with regards to fit and finish. It's a gift to myself so I felt like I could splurge a little.

Jon Vadney

Thanks for the kind words Ben!

SoCal, you make some VERY good points.  There is no substitution for getting your hands on the rods/blanks and seeing how they feel. It's nice now for people who are local to me since I have such a huge amount of blanks at my house that people can pull on and get a feel for. 

In regards to how you stated that similarly rated rods will have a totally different feel, I think that is no where displayed more obviously than with the "Unlimited" class rail rods available today.  The SuperSeeker 3x5, UC Gladiator, Calstar 770 4XH, and the Phenix PHD700 4XH couldn't be more different from each other.  It's funny how much different rods designed to fish, at a minimum, 150# line can feel.